QT question - incoming diamond goby can I use sand from beach?

DBLA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have diamond goby, sapphire blue damsel and small yellow tang coming in soon and will be moving the tank and changing out all the previous QT water along with it. I will be putting a dish of sand in for the goby and treating with copper power with Hanna checker building to 1.75 over 3-5 days. (With the Tang I don’t want to risk anything. And will do the Prazipro last.). I’m fortunate to live at the beach but would never use sand or water for the DT (I know some do with succsess). But what about for QT that WILL be getting copper? Does this change anything? I could actually put down a sandbed and just toss when the 30 days are up. I’ve also debated just using seawater in QT. As a side note I’m getting a couple cleaner shrimp but plan to QT them in a separate 5gal AIO QT until they molt then add to DT, this is the recommendation I had seen by searching.

Thanks for any advice!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend. They almost always contains stuff thats not suitable for home aquarium. Its a risk not worth taking

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have diamond goby, sapphire blue damsel and small yellow tang coming in soon and will be moving the tank and changing out all the previous QT water along with it. I will be putting a dish of sand in for the goby and treating with copper power with Hanna checker building to 1.75 over 3-5 days. (With the Tang I don’t want to risk anything. And will do the Prazipro last.). I’m fortunate to live at the beach but would never use sand or water for the DT (I know some do with succsess). But what about for QT that WILL be getting copper? Does this change anything? I could actually put down a sandbed and just toss when the 30 days are up. I’ve also debated just using seawater in QT. As a side note I’m getting a couple cleaner shrimp but plan to QT them in a separate 5gal AIO QT until they molt then add to DT, this is the recommendation I had seen by searching.

Thanks for any advice!

The key to using sand from the beach is to get the sand where there's no human activity. Definitely don't go down to the local beach front. If you can...get it back in the sand dunes from a remote area.

If you live in the Florida Keys...the sand out there is lush!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back