QT question..one more

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it better to do a proactive treatment or a "wait and see"?
Hey hope your evening is well!
I personally do not use proactive treatments. It adds unnecessary stress if there is no illness.
I QT for observation
If anything is detected then I treat the water but only after confirmation

AKsaltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually concur with that. I thought there was already a problem and I suppose I was slightly confused about what you were saying. But yes when you bring a new fish home watch it. Give it at least a couple weeks to see if there is a fungus, flukes, ich. ...... and so on. If you don't see anything in a couple weeks chances are your good.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually concur with that. I thought there was already a problem and I suppose I was slightly confused about what you were saying. But yes when you bring a new fish home watch it. Give it at least a couple weeks to see if there is a fungus, flukes, ich. ...... and so on. If you don't see anything in a couple weeks chances are your good.
Hi I miss Alaska!
Wired a gold mine there and it is such beautiful land
QT is so beneficial to the specimen and the DT :)

AKsaltlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah most people don't realize how much stress you put a fish through when you bring them home. Then you go and throw them in with a bunch of territorial fish and you have a bad scenario. Add all that stress and you have a breeding ground for parasites. Especially ich.
And yes I love it here I have been in alaska for 31 years and love every minute of it.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prophylactically treat for ich & flukes - two diseases which do not always show obvious symptoms. But I see nothing wrong with just passive observation as well. It will, at the very least, protect you from "tank killer" diseases such as velvet & brook.

Which one is "right" for you really depends on what kind of person you are. If you are the attention to detail type with lots of time to sit & watch fish in QT, then just observing will probably work for you. But if you have a busy life, or are not an overly observant person... then you might want to prophylactically treat. ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back