QT setup advice ASAP

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I set up my new 200 gallon and my fish have ich. I have 11 fish

After work I need to buy a good size quarantine tank. What size is good ? Should I get two different sizes used ? There are many on offer up

supplies :
2 Sponge filter
1 aeration pump
Hang on back filter
Ammonia badge
Multiple PVC pipes for hiding
Heater

Any supplies that I’m missing ? I don’t have time to cycle a QT tank. 1 fish lost and yellow tang has white spots.

I plan to get a separate tank for Leopard wrasse and use Coppersafe. It’s been said Wrasse don’t do well with Cupramine

Thanks for the advice guys

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up my new 200 gallon and my fish have ich. I have 11 fish

After work I need to buy a good size quarantine tank. What size is good ? Should I get two different sizes used ? There are many on offer up

supplies :
2 Sponge filter
1 aeration pump
Hang on back filter
Ammonia badge
Multiple PVC pipes for hiding
Heater

Any supplies that I’m missing ? I don’t have time to cycle a QT tank. 1 fish lost and yellow tang has white spots.

I plan to get a separate tank for Leopard wrasse and use Coppersafe. It’s been said Wrasse don’t do well with Cupramine

Thanks for the advice guys
The size of the quarantine tank really depends on the type and size of the fish you need to house in it, can you give me a list?

How many fish are showing spots? It is unusual to lose a fish to ich and only have spots on one other fish (the YT?). Generally, by the time a fish dies from ich, most/all fish will show severe spots.

Leopard wrasse are delicate in pretty much all respects. Coppersafe will work, but they just don't like quarantine tanks.

I think you will need to stock up on some "bacteria in a bottle" - you shouldn't use ammonia removing products when dosing cupramine.

You'll want to ensure the fish can't jump out of the QT.

Jay

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
The size of the quarantine tank really depends on the type and size of the fish you need to house in it, can you give me a list?

How many fish are showing spots? It is unusual to lose a fish to ich and only have spots on one other fish (the YT?). Generally, by the time a fish dies from ich, most/all fish will show severe spots.

Leopard wrasse are delicate in pretty much all respects. Coppersafe will work, but they just don't like quarantine tanks.

I think you will need to stock up on some "bacteria in a bottle" - you shouldn't use ammonia removing products when dosing cupramine.

You'll want to ensure the fish can't jump out of the QT.

Jay
1 swallowtail angel
2 Anthias
1 lawnmower blenny
1 yellow tang
1 clownfish
1 leopard wrasse
1 yellow watchman goby
1 cardinal
1 aiptasia file fish
1 chromis

no other fish I can really tell. Just yellow tang has many spots if you look really close. and black clown has one spot

I have microbacter 7 liter.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 swallowtail angel
2 Anthias
1 lawnmower blenny
1 yellow tang
1 clownfish
1 leopard wrasse
1 yellow watchman goby
1 cardinal
1 aiptasia file fish
1 chromis

no other fish I can really tell. Just yellow tang has many spots if you look really close. and black clown has one spot

I have microbacter 7 liter.
I think a 20 long would be just a tad too small, a 30 long would be better. Skip the standard 29 gallon, they only hold about 23 gallons and are too tall.

Jay

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Dosing microbacter 7 will help ? How much per day
I think a 20 long would be just a tad too small, a 30 long would be better. Skip the standard 29 gallon, they only hold about 23 gallons and are too tall.

Jay

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add a powerhead for the angelfish. I lost one in quarantine after an outbreak of...something...due, I think, to poor oxygenation with just a HOB and an airstone.

I know it's a hassle, but I'd also consider multiple hospital tanks. After finishing copper/other treatment, many people prefer to transfer fish to a sterile tank to complete a further observation period. You're not going to be able to return your fish to the DT for 45/72 days, so you need to put these fish somewhere after the 14/30 day copper treatment.

I currently have two QT tanks for five fish, but I'd probably make it three for yours: 5, 6, and a spare for sterile transfer. You can even use clear totes for this if you don't want to splurge for that many spare tanks.

OP
OP
jmichaelh7

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I'd add a powerhead for the angelfish. I lost one in quarantine after an outbreak of...something...due, I think, to poor oxygenation with just a HOB and an airstone.

I know it's a hassle, but I'd also consider multiple hospital tanks. After finishing copper/other treatment, many people prefer to transfer fish to a sterile tank to complete a further observation period. You're not going to be able to return your fish to the DT for 45/72 days, so you need to put these fish somewhere after the 14/30 day copper treatment.

I currently have two QT tanks for five fish, but I'd probably make it three for yours: 5, 6, and a spare for sterile transfer. You can even use clear totes for this if you don't want to splurge for that many spare tanks.
I would run carbon and remove copper after

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run carbon and remove copper after
Or cuprisorb. But I think that many people use this final transfer as a modified TTM process, although the science for that seems to me to be a bit unclear. Although I certainly understand the impulse to do that.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d recommend 40 breeder for this. Maybe petco has $ per gallon sale now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing microbacter 7 will help ? How much per day
Microbacter 7 is a mix of bacteria and enzymes. the enzymes will get used up, but the bacteria will replicate and help control the ammonia. This is similar to Fritzyme. I always tell people to always follow the label instructions. You may want to also get some Dr. Tim's bacteria, I've heard good things about that.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back