QT setup

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. There. I was just curious on what is the standard QT setup is. Filters, sand or no sand, size and lighting, rocks? Any help would be great. Thanks!!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon QT that has been fully cycled for over 35 days.
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter with BioMax ceramic media that has been soaking in my sump for 30+ days; foam filter pad soaked the same.
Dosed tank with Seachem Stability as directed on the bottle.
Seachem ammonia alert badge
*** doing the two steps above, I've never seen ammonia test in the QT. Only change water about once a week.
Powerhead aimed up a surface for better O2 exchange
lights off ambient room lighting only
bare bottom tank with a couple of PVC "caves" and a plastic plant
Bottom, ends, and back walls of the exterior of the tank painted with blue/black paint. Gives the fish a comfy cave to live in and relax.
Dosed Copper Power in small amounts AM, lunch, PM over 5 days to reach therapeutic level of 1.75ppm measuring with Hanna HL Copper Checker and soak for 30 days.
Fish usually come in at salinity of 0.019 from Live Aquaria. Kept it at 0.020 until the copper treatment was done.
Food: @jsker turned me on to making fish "smoothies" to give the fish a wide variety of proteins, fats, and vitamins. Several different frozen fish cubes one each: chopped clams, mysis, brine, cyclops, seaweed, reef mix, etc. Allow to "slump" in a tupperware in the fridge. Pour off excess liquid. Add liquid vitamins a couple of drops like Selcon, Zoecon, etc. The mix stays good for several days in the fridge. My fish love it.

OP
OP
Mike78

Mike78

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 gallon QT that has been fully cycled for over 35 days.
Aquaclear 50 HOB filter with BioMax ceramic media that has been soaking in my sump for 30+ days; foam filter pad soaked the same.
Dosed tank with Seachem Stability as directed on the bottle.
Seachem ammonia alert badge
*** doing the two steps above, I've never seen ammonia test in the QT. Only change water about once a week.
Powerhead aimed up a surface for better O2 exchange
lights off ambient room lighting only
bare bottom tank with a couple of PVC "caves" and a plastic plant
Bottom, ends, and back walls of the exterior of the tank painted with blue/black paint. Gives the fish a comfy cave to live in and relax.
Dosed Copper Power in small amounts AM, lunch, PM over 5 days to reach therapeutic level of 1.75ppm measuring with Hanna HL Copper Checker and soak for 30 days.
Fish usually come in at salinity of 0.019 from Live Aquaria. Kept it at 0.020 until the copper treatment was done.
Food: @jsker turned me on to making fish "smoothies" to give the fish a wide variety of proteins, fats, and vitamins. Several different frozen fish cubes one each: chopped clams, mysis, brine, cyclops, seaweed, reef mix, etc. Allow to "slump" in a tupperware in the fridge. Pour off excess liquid. Add liquid vitamins a couple of drops like Selcon, Zoecon, etc. The mix stays good for several days in the fridge. My fish love it.
Great tips!!!! Thanks alot.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food: @jsker turned me on to making fish "smoothies" to give the fish a wide variety of proteins, fats, and vitamins. Several different frozen fish cubes one each: chopped clams, mysis, brine, cyclops, seaweed, reef mix, etc.
Please ask away, Here is a article I wrote on how is prepare my food and I make the food link

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back