QT setup

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished setting up my qt tank and am finally ready for my next fishey ☺️ DT is done with its cycle!! I already have the two Picasso clown Misbar. Still deciding on a good first utilitarian fish. Any suggestions? I’m all ears! 75 gal DT and 30gal sump. Thanks guy and happy reefing

image.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utilitarian in what way? With a new tank, I can't imagine you'd need an algae or pest eating fish.

OP
OP
maddiesreef

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utilitarian in what way? With a new tank, I can't imagine you'd need an algae or pest eating fish.
Sand sifters, algae eaters etc. I know I don’t have much bad stuff in there now but it’ll keep building up so I want to get them in there now and established so when I turn the lights on they will be off to the races.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifters, algae eaters etc. I know I don’t have much bad stuff in there now but it’ll keep building up so I want to get them in there now and established so when I turn the lights on they will be off to the races.
Generally it doesn't work like that. You need to have their food source in the tank already. Sand sifters need an established sand bed with nutrients in it.
Snails and whatnot usually can be introduced once you start seeing the film algae appearing. These are animals that usually can't be target fed...well, except one of my Turbos that found the Tang's seaweed clip the other day.
You're going to get "the bad stuff". It's part of the tank maturation process. Once it happens, then I'd say you can start tackling the issues.
Just my two pennies.

OP
OP
maddiesreef

maddiesreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sand sifters, algae eaters etc. I know I don’t have much bad stuff in there now but it’ll keep building up so I want to get them in there now and established so when I turn the lights on they will be off to the
Generally it doesn't work like that. You need to have their food source in the tank already. Sand sifters need an established sand bed with nutrients in it.
Snails and whatnot usually can be introduced once you start seeing the film algae appearing. These are animals that usually can't be target fed...well, except one of my Turbos that found the Tang's seaweed clip the other day.
You're going to get "the bad stuff". It's part of the tank maturation process. Once it happens, then I'd say you can start tackling the issues.
Just my two pennies.
Just my two pennies.
I’m not adding these all at once I’m taking my time and trying to figure out what fish to introduce to the tank and at what time that will work in my tank to reduce the nuisance and wanted to hear some of what fish have worked for others. I know that it will appear but there’s ways of reducing it as well which I have and am taking the steps to do. Thanks for your Imput!

Back