QT Tank For Captive Bred Mandarin?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive recently cleaned up my tank so now its sparkling clean, with crystal water and limited algae. I only have 2 clowns (as fish) in the tank right now and I'd like to add anoter fish, preferably a captive bred mandarin or one that has already been weened onto prepared and frozen foods. SO I need to know, what size should the quarantine tank be. The DT is only 20g, so i dont exactly want to buy a whole other 20g tank. Would a 5 gallon work? Do I even need a QT? #reefsquad
Thanks for the help,

*Btw i have a whole plan for keeping the mandarin, culturing and growing pods, etc.*

crys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve read that mandarins are quite hardy and resilient to pests so with that in mind many people say you don’t need to quarantine them. But if you’re able to do so better safe than sorry :)

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After doing this twice I think next time I would lke to use TTM for manderins....their slime coat is a very good natural protection against a lot of parasites and quarentining a manderin can become hard to do as you have to stock the tank with pods almost daily as they will eat what they can see and in a QT pods have no where to hide lol.

We have 2 pairs and we started a 20g for each when we first got them to quarentine.....we pulled 1 rock from our display that was full of pods and had enough room for them to hide, then stocked pods weekly while they were being quarentined. Pods are expensive and a pod hotel or good fuge is a must. We also only quarentined for 14 days.

We weren't concerned with ich or velvet but wanted to quarentine to make sure there were no underlying bacterial issues.

Last edited:

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I even need a QT?

If the mandarin is captive bred by ORA or Biota and comes directly from them, then there isn't a need to QT. If the fish spends any time at a wholesaler or fish store, then it will be exposed to pathogens. Mandarins are unlikely to carry disease, but it is possible. They are also really difficult to QT. The buyer of a mandarin has that tough call to make.

That being said, I would never recommend a mandarin for a 20 gallon tank.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the mandarin is captive bred by ORA or Biota and comes directly from them, then there isn't a need to QT. If the fish spends any time at a wholesaler or fish store, then it will be exposed to pathogens. Mandarins are unlikely to carry disease, but it is possible. They are also really difficult to QT. The buyer of a mandarin has that tough call to make.

This is great advice and I completely missed that he only had a 20g....too involved in helping hahah

But I agree a 20g long term in not large enough for a manderin long term.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After doing this twice I think next time I would lke to use TTM for manderins....their slime coat is a very good natural protection against a lot of parasites and quarentining a manderin can become hard to do as you have to stock the tank with pods almost daily as they will eat what they can see and in a QT pods have no where to hide lol.

We have 2 pairs and we started a 20g for each when we first got them to quarentine.....we pulled 1 rock from our display that was full of pods and had enough room for them to hide, then stocked pods weekly while they were being quarentined. Pods are expensive and a pod hotel or good fuge is a must. We also only quarentined for 14 days.

We weren't concerned with ich or velvet but wanted to quarentine to make sure there were no underlying bacterial issues.
Would a 5 g QT work for one mandarin?

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And theyre tough to QT because QT are hard to stock with pods righht?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And theyre tough to QT because QT are hard to stock with pods righht?

Yes.

There are also two other major problems:
1. They can't handle medications
2. They can carry diseases without showing symptoms. In other words, you can't tell if they're sick.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.

There are also two other major problems:
1. They can't handle medications
2. They can carry diseases without showing symptoms. In other words, you can't tell if they're sick.
Oh. Ill have to get one from a place that removes any pests and stuff before selling them

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive also been wondering, that since females are smaller than males, wouldnt a female mandarin eat less than a male?

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably not advisable to have a mandarin in a tank that small regardless of the care/attention you put into it, but as others have said it would probably be best to put him straight in to the display if you get one. Especially if you buy from ORA/Biota.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back