QT Tank Setup

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still planning my Reefer 250 and have already purchased all my equipment, rocks, etc. I expect to get the tank wet and cycling in a couple of weeks.

In the meantime, i have a 20 gallon wide tank that I’m setting up as a QT with a HOB filter, heater and Powerhead.

Do I need to cycle the QT fully before introducing my first fish? I’d like to start with a pair of Oscelaris Clowns. I’ve added biospira and have bio media in the HOB filter with no charcoal. How long should I wait to introduce fish to the QT?

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Bio-Spira you should add the fish the same day so they start producing Ammonia to feed the bacteria you just added. If done properly, you should not even notice an Ammonia spike and should start seeing Nitrite within a few days. Nitrite should stick around for a few more days then Nitrate will show up. Finally the Nitrite will go away just leaving Nitrate in measurable amounts. The whole process should take around 6 - 8 days, but could take a bit longer. I have done this successfully with all my QT tanks many times now and had no issues.

You could also try doing the TTM. With the TTM you don't need to worry about cycling the tank at all since the fish are only in the tank for 3 days before being transferred. You would need to get one more tank, HOB filter and heater and make sure you sanitize tanks and all equipment between transfers and still use an Ammonia badge, (just in case) but it seems to be easier on the fish with no copper. I recently started using this method for the last batch of fish I QT'd and it went pretty smooth. I did need to use PraziPro and feed MetroPlex/Focus for Flukes and internal parasites, but did not use copper at all.

OP
OP
DelRayTank

DelRayTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update - added Biospira Sunday morning and my first fish to the QT Sunday night. Fish have been doing well throughout and have not shown any signs of stress.

Current chemistry is:
Ph: 8.3
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0.5
Nitrate - 20
Phosphate - .64 (highest possible reading for my Red Sea test kit).

All seems well other than my Phosphate levels. Should I be worried about this level or let it be? Attached is a picture of the QT as it sits.

0C6F4EC6-CB94-4E12-AAC5-EBFD5AE4ED7A.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back