QT Tank Tenants

M1i1t1c1h1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about to start up my main tank. I have been doing copious amounts of research! This is a random thought that came to me earlier today... A thought that has yet to be addressed in my copious amounts of research:
Can a cleanup crew (snails, crabs, shrimp, etc...) introduce parasites/diseases/any other unwanted 'things' into your display tank? We always view them as our saviors who help us rid of these problems (or at least I have). But what are the odds that they can cause a problem? And I'm not talking about where you add an excessive amount of critters to help with a problem you're experiencing and then a large amount of them die off after the food source is depleted which results in all sorts of nasty stuff being released into your tank. I am specifically talking about introducing a problem into your tank via the addition of said critters. Would it be a good idea to put them through a dip or quarantine process before you add them to your main display?
Interested in hearing your thoughts :)

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just about to start up my main tank. I have been doing copious amounts of research! This is a random thought that came to me earlier today... A thought that has yet to be addressed in my copious amounts of research:
Can a cleanup crew (snails, crabs, shrimp, etc...) introduce parasites/diseases/any other unwanted 'things' into your display tank? We always view them as our saviors who help us rid of these problems (or at least I have). But what are the odds that they can cause a problem? And I'm not talking about where you add an excessive amount of critters to help with a problem you're experiencing and then a large amount of them die off after the food source is depleted which results in all sorts of nasty stuff being released into your tank. I am specifically talking about introducing a problem into your tank via the addition of said critters. Would it be a good idea to put them through a dip or quarantine process before you add them to your main display?
the odds are definitely present but in a very low ratio. it’s pretty rare for any cuc to carry worms/ich etcetera so it is very crucial that you use observation skills when picking them! if you have a lfs or 2 then i’d recommend you check them out and inspect how clean their set ups are and how attentive employees are with them. if a tank has a fish that looks sick/ may have ich then any cuc in there can definitely carry whatever infestation is in that tank if that makes any sense. when it comes to cuc the best way to be safe is observing them for good health and activity before picking them and observing other tankmates around and it really only comes down to this, the rest is just a game of chance (which you may almost always win if you try your best to observe carefully). i’m not sure that any cuc would survive dips because most are very fragile! i don’t think they can even survive ich treatment actually.. but if you want to go the extra mile and quarantine them in a stable tank as you dt then that’ll for sure help with any doubt but it’s essentially not necessary imo !

lazycouch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was worried about this with my tux urchin, he did have an aptasia on him somehow so i removed it and it was just fine afterwords. i found it while it was acclimating, something else that helps me figure out if something is off with cuc or any animal as well!

Jedi Knghit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust nobody and QT everything in my opinion.

I have some snails in a QT tank now, they looked fine when I received them, but within a week I spotted an aiptasa.There were multiple within days. Better to find the issues in QT when it is easier to deal with than in your DT.

This thread is a good read on the topic.

This one too.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 124 75.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back