QT tanks

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning out my build for my RSR 250 and was planning on a QT for fish and for frags.

I have two 10 gallon tanks with simple hob filter and heater. I know that for frag QT that I will need a better light.

Do I set them up at the same time as the main tank?

Do I run the fish QT all of the time or just when getting a new fish?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its up to you, but I keep my QT tank up and running, always ready for fish.

with bottled bacteria products, you can set up a QT tank in no time though, so either way is fine. I like my QT cycled... makes things easier.

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its up to you, but I keep my QT tank up and running, always ready for fish.

with bottled bacteria products, you can set up a QT tank in no time though, so either way is fine. I like my QT cycled... makes things easier.
So is there a fish that you keep in your QT to keep the bacteria up and fed or do you just feed the bacteria in some way to maintain?

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody else has any input on QT tank? If there is a thread that points to my answers, I haven't found it.

RC Reefer 5184

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I keep a few pieces of rock in my sump on my main tank. When I need to set up an qt tank I use the water from my main (water change time) fill it up take a couple pieces of pvc and a couple of those rocks from my sump. Hang on back filter, heater, lid so nothing jumps out, and small power head for movement and a little water agitation of water surface And I’m ready to go. L

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish QT, personally I setup when I plan on buying fish and just keep a filter sponge in my DT sump to gain bacteria while not in use. I do on the other hand have a coral QT tank that I keep set up thats like a mini DT. It has no fish and I ghost feed the tank a couple times a week to keep bacteria in it fed

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a fish that you keep in your QT to keep the bacteria up and fed or do you just feed the bacteria in some way to maintain?
No, the bacteria will be fine. They can adapt. I don't keep fish in the QT all the time, but often enough that its never been an issue. I'm pretty sure bacteria can survive months if necessary with little new food being added. they can adapt and eat other things if necessary.

A pinch of fish food would be all it would take to feed them if you were worried about it. (I don't)

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish QT, personally I setup when I plan on buying fish and just keep a filter sponge in my DT sump to gain bacteria while not in use. I do on the other hand have a coral QT tank that I keep set up thats like a mini DT. It has no fish and I ghost feed the tank a couple times a week to keep bacteria in it fed
So a sponge that obviously isnt reused after the fish QT if your dosing with copper? Thank you for your input

OP
OP
pghreeferteam

pghreeferteam

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a few pieces of rock in my sump on my main tank. When I need to set up an qt tank I use the water from my main (water change time) fill it up take a couple pieces of pvc and a couple of those rocks from my sump. Hang on back filter, heater, lid so nothing jumps out, and small power head for movement and a little water agitation of water surface And I’m ready to go. L
But then that rock you utilize cant go back into the sump after? Thank you for your input

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 10 gallons, you have a lot of options. You can always just change water out of your display and into the 10 gallon tank when you want new fish, along with some filter media. If your QT was larger, this is not always easy. You can keep it running too. Sponge filters are cheap and easy to seed and dispose of and you can use filter bags for HOB filters or even synthetic quit batting as media.

Coral QT is harder. Some corals suffer without fish, but you can kinda do the same thing, or just keep it running. If you are QTing the corals for fish parasites, then you have a long term job coming. If just for coral parasites, then the timeframe can be lower. Have some ammonia/ammonium on hand to feed the corals.

If you are worried about fish parasites in the tank, then you have to QT inverts too, so don't forget about them.

I more isolate and prepare fish for captive live (eating well and not skittish) rather than QT, so take all that I said for what it is worth. I usually advise people to setup their display with real live rock teeming with life so that if any diseases get through, the tomonts don't hardly stand a chance in the substrate with all of the critters looking for a meal. However, you can do both.

JonezNReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a sponge that obviously isnt reused after the fish QT if your dosing with copper? Thank you for your input
No I don't reuse them. I put a new sponge in the sump when I start the QT tank up so I am ready for the next time.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back