Qt turn for the worse

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25 gal qt cycled sponge in hob filter.

Picked up 2 clowns last week. Fed second day and appetite has increased since. Seemed to act normal but a tad timid, have gotten more active daily. Dosed prazi day 4. Day 9 is today and came home to do water change and redose. Lights were out for the day found one on the bottom of the tank and one up at the top almost floating.

Temp ph and salinity all fine. Ammonia badge says yellow. Testing with red sea now

Doing a 5 gallon water change right now. Current problem is heating water otherwise I could do more.

Only other issue I've observed is stringy white poop.

Ideas?

OP
OP
ViciousDlishus

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Badge obviously not working. Reading 0.8 ammonia with test. 10 gal water change completed and they seem happy again.

Testing again after water change.

LatinKing

Clownfish Breeder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Badge obviously not working. Reading 0.8 ammonia with test. 10 gal water change completed and they seem happy again.

Testing again after water change.
When introducing a new fish to a tank, will not eat the first or second they. Sometimes not much of an appetite for the first few days. Just curious why would you QT a pair of tanked raised clownfish, unless there direct from Bali. As for ammonia make sure your not "over feeding" and pickup any loose food that falls to bottom.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop indicates internal parasites which are best treated by soaking food in metroplex and focus (to bind it to the food) for 10-14 days or dosing metroplex in the quarantine water if the fish aren’t eating.

Last edited:

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi works great for white stringy poop/internal parasites.
Make sure ph is ok and relatively stable. As well temps. When light comes on it will effect both, and you don’t need much if any light on qt.

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi works great for white stringy poop/internal parasites.
Make sure ph is ok and relatively stable. As well temps. When light comes on it will effect both, and you don’t need much if any light on qt.

Prazipro is for external parasites such as flukes, it won’t do anything for internal. OP you might try shining a light behind the badge, I get a more accurate reading that way.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro is for external parasites such as flukes, it won’t do anything for internal. OP you might try shining a light behind the badge, I get a more accurate reading that way.
Prazi works for internal parasites. Something about how fish don’t drink but absorb the water they’re in, or maybe it’s magic. All I can say is it works, and works well.

OP
OP
ViciousDlishus

ViciousDlishus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I will be doing another water change today and redose prazi.

I plan on doing metro with focus for the stringy poop. Can I feed this while doing prazi round 2? I'm doing 30 days of cupramine after prazi can I continue metro through this or do I wait until done with metro too.

Also I read you add 1 measure of metro to a teaspoon of food. I don't feed 1 teaspoon of food in a day

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I plan on doing metro with focus for the stringy poop. Can I feed this while doing prazi round 2? I'm doing 30 days of cupramine after prazi can I continue metro through this or do I wait until done with metro too.

Also I read you add 1 measure of metro to a teaspoon of food. I don't feed 1 teaspoon of food in a day

Holy double post Batman!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

Mix up a batch of food and refrigerate the rest. It'll last a couple of days easily.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added 1 measure of metroplex and 5 measures of focus to a teaspoon of pellet food and a few drops of tank water and mashed it all up. When they go through all that I will make more if needed. Plan on treating mine for 10 days. I'm only on day three. I don't see why you couldn't treat while using prazi at the same time.

I just take as much as they normally eat and crumble it up with my fingers while adding it to the tank.

Not the most appetizing look, ha. The fish seem to love it though.

20171115_171356.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi works for internal parasites. Something about how fish don’t drink but absorb the water they’re in, or maybe it’s magic. All I can say is it works, and works well.
It’s ineffective at best

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

One measure of Metroplex (Metronidazole) and one measure of Focus on a teaspoon - and if you don't feed the full teaspoon, pop the rest into the refrigerator for a day or three. Just like your Thanksgiving leftovers, it'll be fine.

There's a popular medicine (I use it myself) called "General Cure" by API. It's a combination of Metronidazole and Praziquantel, the active ingredient in Prazi-Pro. You'll be fine to dose the two together.

~Bruce

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other.

Back