Quarantine Everything

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone almost convinced me that I shouldn't Quarantine inverts. Glad I didn't listen to that advice lol.

This snail I put in my invert Quarantine Tank looks like he has Aptasia and the worm things that send out the web (I forgot what you call them).

Now I'm debating if I should just leave this guy in this tank or try scrub this stuff off?
20210629_214800.jpg
20210629_214607.jpg

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see two feather duster worms and some spirorbid worms.

Spirorbid Worm -
serpuliabigger.jpg

Very common neutral hitchhiker. These guys are most commonly found in overflows, and high flow areas of your sump. Can multiply very quickly and have been rumored to disrupt equipment such as pumps. Nutrient control keeps their numbers in check.

No aiptasia or vermetid snails

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see two feather duster worms and some spirorbid worms.

Spirorbid Worm -
serpuliabigger.jpg

Very common neutral hitchhiker. These guys are most commonly found in overflows, and high flow areas of your sump. Can multiply very quickly and have been rumored to disrupt equipment such as pumps. Nutrient control keeps their numbers in check.

No aiptasia or vermetid snails

Is That what all those antennas moving around is? That thing that looks like Aptasia is actual a feather duster?
20210629_222443_1.gif

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, learning something new tonight.

So I bought 10 of these trochus snails. Does everyone think these hitchhikers are harmless? If not can I just scrape it off without hurting the snails. I did briefly dip them in Coral Rx prior to putting them in Quarantine but I guess that does work for these type of hitchhikers.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rx is not always going to kill stuff, and it could of hurt your snails. You could leave them overnight in a container to see if anything else pops up. All I usually do is keep them for a few hours in a container knowing stuff to look for after acclimating them. Give them a good scraping if it bothers you or is a pest. I had some that had barnacles recently got scraped off. Some had turf algae, I dipped them shell only in peroxide. It is good to qt them if you can. If not go through some measures to treat them.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dipped snails in coral RX? First time I’ve heard that. You can scrub their shell, scrape their shell, you won’t hurt them. You can also take a Qtip dipped in peroxide to clean the shell, they’ll suck theirselves up into shell. This wo t hurt them but I wouldn’t dip them in a coral dip.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rx is not always going to kill stuff, and it could of hurt your snails. You could leave them overnight in a container to see if anything else pops up. All I usually do is keep them for a few hours in a container knowing stuff to look for after acclimating them. Give them a good scraping if it bothers you or is a pest. I had some that had barnacles recently got scraped off. Some had turf algae, I dipped them shell only in peroxide. It is good to qt them if you can. If not go through some measures to treat them.
I only put a small amount of Coral Rx in a 5 Gallon bucket to dip them. A bunch of worms a little astrea Starfish came off. So you dip them shell only in peroxide to kill off the Algae? They've been in Quarantine for three days, I can try to gentle scrape of the shells tomorrow.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You dipped snails in coral RX? First time I’ve heard that. You can scrub their shell, scrape their shell, you won’t hurt them. You can also take a Qtip dipped in peroxide to clean the shell, they’ll suck theirselves up into shell. This wo t hurt them but I wouldn’t dip them in a coral dip.
Yes I dipped them in a small amount of Coral Rx (killed a bunch of worms and pest star fish). My display tank is 100% pest free and I'm trying to keep it that way. Now I've learned about the peroxide with QTip and upside down dip so I'll do that going forward.

Anyone else have any safer ways to clean or dip snails? Looks like I'll discontinue the coral Rx for these guys.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I do that. Kind of a crap shoot with sensitive invertebrates. They don't say it but I think its a mix of lemon oil and pine oil. Both oils are really toxic to aquatic animals. Hence why they say to rinse dip off. Peroxide if high enough will kill snails so I only dip their shells.

OP
OP
R33fDaddy

R33fDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I do that. Kind of a crap shoot with sensitive invertebrates. They don't say it but I think its a mix of lemon oil and pine oil. Both oils are really toxic to aquatic animals. Hence why they say to rinse dip off. Peroxide if high enough will kill snails so I only dip their shells.
Yeah its really tricky. I've looked everywhere online and can't really find anything on dipping or quarantining snails.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back