Quarantine help!

Reef2187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello, I bought a Midas Blenny and a flame angel a week ago. I have them in a 10 quarantine tank. Both fish look healthy so far. However, the flame angel is very shy and does not come out to eat. He eats if the food goes into his cave with the flow. I know I am suppose to have the on quarantine for longer, but I am afraid he is not eating enough. Should I add him to my display tank in an effor to have him come out and eat with all the other fish? Also, he does not come out much so I am not able to inspect him well. He looks good from far away but if I get too close he hides again. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's needs time. They are very shy as is. As long as you see it eat at any level you should be ok. Try to feed it what the store you bought it from was feeding it then try other things.

Joey waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you have a lot of hiding spots. Ten gallons tanks are very up front and can scare them easy. I like to feed and stand back to see if they eat. If your right there they tend to not to eat.

sa6hir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try keeping ur lights off and once you have placed the food into the tank observe from a distance

Djbrandriff150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you add him to the display he's just gonna eat less because he will have more fish fighting for the same food! Keep him in the quarantine tank better chance of getting food. Just try a few of the ideas said previously above...

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my father said above, just wait. We have two fire fish in QT at the moment because of velvet. Now they've been in there almost two weeks and the first week they didn't really eat at all... but with feeding two times a day and unplugging the filter system and letting them just see the food and stepping back, they soon both ate and are doing great! I was very worried at first with them not eating thinking it was the copper but after awhile they are perfectly fine! Just leave him in QT and don't make our mistake with just adding fish to a tank when they may have parasites or diseases that can cause the other fish to get it also.

OP
OP
Reef2187

Reef2187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys. I am going to keep them in and try different foods and add garlic. How long should I keep them for ?

Josett Waid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you need any info on the proper ways to acclimate after QT to put your fish in your DT, I started a thread called how long to drip/float acclimate your fish. Many people have commented on there to explain some of the proper ways to do it and some are very different than others so you would have to do what you think is best in that sense but the thread has helped me a lot in understanding what we should do right after QT.

OP
OP
Reef2187

Reef2187

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you need any info on the proper ways to acclimate after QT to put your fish in your DT, I started a thread called how long to drip/float acclimate your fish. Many people have commented on there to explain some of the proper ways to do it and some are very different than others so you would have to do what you think is best in that sense but the thread has helped me a lot in understanding what we should do right after QT.

Thank you!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 189 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.7%
Back