Quarantine in Display Tank

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have set up a 20 gallon nano reef tank and just completed the cycle. I plan to only have two clownfish and a cleaner shrimp along with corals. I have also set up a separate 5 gallon tank. I plan to purchase the clownfish first and then later add corals. Can I just go ahead and add the clownfish to the 20 gallon tank and quarantine them in the tank before adding anything else? When I purchase corals I plan to dip them and then leave them in the 5 gallon tank for about a month before adding to my 20 gallon main tank.

Quarantining the clownfish in the 20 gallon tank will be easier and if there is any problem I can still treat in this tank. Thoughts?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By quarantine, so you mean observe or treat? The whole point of quarantining anything is to do it in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank. With the 5-gallon you'll want to make sure they're not terribly large if you plan to quarantine them at the same time.

OP
OP
B

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By quarantine, so you mean observe or treat? The whole point of quarantining anything is to do it in a separate tank before adding to your main display tank. With the 5-gallon you'll want to make sure they're not terribly large if you plan to quarantine them at the same time.
I understand but if it is a new tank what is the advantage of putting them in the 5 gallon tank first? If I am not going to put anything else in the 20 gallon tank until I am sure there are no issues with the clownfish why not just start them in there?

CocoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand but if it is a new tank what is the advantage of putting them in the 5 gallon tank first? If I am not going to put anything else in the 20 gallon tank until I am sure there are no issues with the clownfish why not just start them in there?
If they have a disease or parasites you are introducing those into your dt if you add them straight away. For example if they had ich you would have to treat your whole dt before adding a new pair

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back