Quarantine Meds advice for UK beginner

Keviwal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have read through some great threads here about best setups, meds ,steps to take and do's & don't. I have picked up some great advice but still have a long way to go.
I'm 2.5 weeks in to my first marine tank. 12 days into the cycle (if you want to find out more I have started a thread on my journey)

I have setup a 55L quarantine tank with a fluvial U2 filter, heater and light. Because my DT is still cycling and ammonia, nitrate/nitrite is still unsafe so I added RO water and have been using prime for 3 days now. I had a little bit of bacto start and nitro back left over so dosed the recommended levels.

I have 2 clowns on order from my LFS, its a small family run business about 10 minutes walk from me. They use the following QT 1. Merdel Copper safe for 21 days, 2. Freshwater bath with Malachite Green (5 days after arrival and 15 days of QT), 3. Bath 6hrs with Sera Tremazol at the end.

I was following a lot of the information Humblefish and a load of the experienced guys on this thread suggest but when I went to buy some of the recommended medicines they are not available in the UK.

I have ended up buying Seachem Cupramine, Salifert Copper Profi-Test Kit and Seachem Stability. I was planning on getting API General Cure but it doesn't appear to be available here.
Any idea what I should use instead?

I went with clowns first because I know they are fairly hardy and will survive my beginners mistakes. I want to keep this as simple as possible and do not mind waiting (given my DT is going to take sometime anyway)

Any recommendations on simple, and what you think I need to do on top of what my LFS is already doing. I was hopeful that I could just observe for 30 days!

2.5 weeks ago I knew nothing about quarantining fish, I have only discovered this week that I also need to quarantine corals and inverts so will probably need another tank! Wife will love that!

Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Keviwal1

Keviwal1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is there any SE london/Essex groups here to join?

ReefDemon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning all, any suggestions?

Unfortunately effective fish meds are not readily available in the uk, not anything with any antibiotics as an ingredient anyway.
I order all of mine from the States and get them shipped over. API General Cure I haven’t been able to get my hands on for around a month or so.... funnily enough since COVID-19 lockdown started.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only medication I use in my QT regularly is Prazipro. I add it at the same time I put in the new arrival(s). I then observe the fish and take no further steps unless I see a problem. Even then I don't medicate unless absolutely necessary. I very much prefer to use the Tank Transfer Method (TTM) in most cases.

FWIW - I haven't used copper in well over 20 years - I feel that it is just too stressful on many fish and in addition, unless great care is taken, proper concentrations can be difficult to maintain.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back