Quarantine tank question

Dr RBG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a quarantine tank (20 Long) with no sand or rock. It has a hang on filter with some carbon in a small bag. When not using the tank what do you do to keep it ready so if I buy some fish on impulse it will be ready to go, Can you cover it to prevent evaporation? Do you need to keep the filter running?

Thanks

clipperking

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a quarantine tank (20 Long) with no sand or rock. It has a hang on filter with some carbon in a small bag. When not using the tank what do you do to keep it ready so if I buy some fish on impulse it will be ready to go, Can you cover it to prevent evaporation? Do you need to keep the filter running?

Thanks

You need to keep filter running and create a biological be in the tank just like starting a new aquarium with heater, you don't need sand.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to keep filter running and create a biological be in the tank just like starting a new aquarium with heater, you don't need sand.

My recommendation is to keep a small Tupperware container full of sand if you get a wrasse that sleeps in it, in there.

savetheocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have some hiding spaces for the fish, it can stress them out.

Andrewalex11

Reef Technology
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your filter running/At least have the water moving around to ensure a healthy bacteria colony. It is beneficial to keep Zeolite on hand and add it to the filtration once new livestock arrives into the QT system; this will ensure that ammonia is in good order at all times.

Please note to not run the Zeolite in the system while there is no livestock in the system. And make sure your dropping 1-2 high-nutrient pellets into the system (Something like Hikari) to feed your bacteria colony while QT is not in use.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back