Quarantine Tank under display tank?

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i put my Quarantine tank under my display tank?

my sump tank is in a closet behind my display tank wall, so my DT cabinet is wide open. the doors are magnetic so i figured when i have the QT with a fish in it i could just take the doors off to observe the fish in QT.

i know its suppose to be 10 feet away or whatever, but the laws of physics would tell me i should be okay. what do you think?

can a disease go 5 feet up into the air?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about fish specific diseases but anything that can become airborne it’s not so much about up, down or sideways it becomes about how the air in your house circulates and how far the disease or whatever can travel. Also depends how much ventilation you have as well. Hopefully someone can chime in with the specifics for fish disease/bacteria but if there are any that get into the air easily I would assume at that distance cross contamination would be realistic since the distance is so short.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't risk it, but just my opinion.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do most people put their QT? In another room? My wife isn’t gonna go for a second fish room in the house

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I always buy pre quarantined fish/corals. I still need to have a QT setup anyway right?
That is a matter of personal opinion and risk you are willing to take.
Pre-quarantined fish/corals from a reliable seller may be safe for introduction to the display without quarantine (which would be the purposed selling-point), but you are trusting in their methods that you are not in control of or observing. Essentially, you are trusting the word of the seller in such a case. Do your research into a seller before introducing livestock without quarantine.

Since I have a large enough basement fish room, I personally prefer to do my own quarantine and will probably still do so even if I place an order for pre-quarantined livestock. This keeps the disease prevention under my own observation and control which I prefer since I enjoy the education aspect of this hobby, even learning about diseases (though I still would rather not deal with them, of course).

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement's make good QT spots, otherwise a spare bedroom or office.

Mine is an AIO the bedroom (it's silent)... works way better than a humidifier in winter. It was in the basement after we moved but husband noticed how much drier and uncomfortable the air was and asked me to put it back in the bedroom lol

I don't get this whole "my wife won't let me" thing... are 90% of men a prisoner in their own home? Can't you just talk about it like adults and tell her why. Once you have all your fish you can take it down anyways.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do most people put their QT? In another room? My wife isn’t gonna go for a second fish room in the house
I just have a small 10g tank setup on my desk in the basement. haven't had any fish go through it as I just set it up but seems like you can stick it just about anywhere but preferably a spot you will be around to observe frequently. You wont need much at all for it so it won't be another fish room.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basement's make good QT spots, otherwise a spare bedroom or office.

Mine is an AIO the bedroom (it's silent)... works way better than a humidifier in winter. It was in the basement after we moved but husband noticed how much drier and uncomfortable the air was and asked me to put it back in the bedroom lol

I don't get this whole "my wife won't let me" thing... are 90% of men a prisoner in their own home? Can't you just talk about it like adults and tell her why. Once you have all your fish you can take it down anyways.
Lol if u had a wife u would know.

OP
OP
M

moneymm22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol if u had a wife u would know.
I don’t have a basement or another room, just my office so I would have to put on the opposite wall which is 10 feet away fromDT but it’s right against window with no shades. I would need to add a table or something to put the tank on. And then it’s the same height . I would think that the lower tank would be less likely to make anything airborne.
It’s gonna be need to up an awful lot to have 8 fish for 2-4 week QT at a time and several corals that all need to be QT too.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am the wife! Everyone should have hobbies!

10 feet is fine, curtains and shades are cheap! I don't think height has anything to with it when we are talking about tiny aerosol particles.

HOWEVER, I think the risk from aerosol particles is a small one unless you are blowing fan across the water or something. If you decide to put the tank in the stand, I would limit potential problems by not using any air stones or things that splash. You could also add a glass lid.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back