Quarantine tank

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone this is my 40 gallon quarantine that I just set up. I’m gonna put some different plastic tubing for the fish to hide in too. I was just wondering how other people go about quarantine their fish? Like if you heavily medicated all your fish or if you guys just watch them for any signs? Also how long you think you should quarantine them for? Oh and should corals and invertebrates be quarantined and if can they be quarantine together?
Thanks!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think first you need to decide if it is a coral/invert QT tank or a fish QT tank as meds for fish typically are not fine with corals/inverts unless bound to a food item and not eaten by said coral/invert. After that you can decide which medicines to use.

OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I think first you need to decide if it is a coral/invert QT tank or a fish QT tank as meds for fish typically are not fine with corals/inverts unless bound to a food item and not eaten by said coral/invert. After that you can decide which medicines to use.
Oh yeah what I meant was do you think it’s a good idea to also quarantine invertebrates and corals. This tank is definitely gonna be for fish. Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah what I meant was do you think it’s a good idea to also quarantine invertebrates and corals. This tank is definitely gonna be for fish. Thanks!

I QT my corals after a dip to watch for flatworms eggs hatching, aiptasia, and to decrease the chance of getting marine ich and what not in my tank.

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish QT, the most common method is copper followed by prazi. You can also feed medications to fish while they are in copper (such as general cure with focus, etc.).

A lot of it depends on what you are wanting to treat for, how risky you want to be, and how
Thanks! How long do you keep them in there for and how big is the tank?

I get fish from pre-QT vendors (at a price) so my QT is a 10 gallon tank with a HOB filter with ceramic rings and carbon (I remove the carbon for part of the time) a small UV (green machine that I had laying around rated for 75 gallons), a small wavemaker, and a little ball of chaeto to help keep the phosphates low. I first dip the coral and remove the frag plug or brush the plug with a rough cleaning scrubber thing, then I scrub the parts of the skeleton without tissue (this only applies for LPS), swoosh them in the dip, and then put them in the tank. I have some brightwell koral recover that I use for a week mainly because I have some lying around. I then keep the coral in for at least 4 weeks though will do so for 7 if it came from a place where marine ich was likely to be present (however, I just usually avoid that all together). I then dip it again and put it in the display after that. While in QT, I dose coral food.

OP
OP
Ricksreeefs

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish QT, the most common method is copper followed by prazi. You can also feed medications to fish while they are in copper (such as general cure with focus, etc.).

A lot of it depends on what you are wanting to treat for, how risky you want to be, and how

I get fish from pre-QT vendors (at a price) so my QT is a 10 gallon tank with a HOB filter with ceramic rings and carbon (I remove the carbon for part of the time) a small UV (green machine that I had laying around rated for 75 gallons), a small wavemaker, and a little ball of chaeto to help keep the phosphates low. I first dip the coral and remove the frag plug or brush the plug with a rough cleaning scrubber thing, then I scrub the parts of the skeleton without tissue (this only applies for LPS), swoosh them in the dip, and then put them in the tank. I have some brightwell koral recover that I use for a week mainly because I have some lying around. I then keep the coral in for at least 4 weeks though will do so for 7 if it came from a place where marine ich was likely to be present. I then dip it again and put it in the display after that. While in QT, I dose coral food.
Thank you for all the info!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for all the info!

There are tons of threads on here on fish and coral QT and everyone does it differently. Jay Hemdal is the guy to ask for specific QT questions on here, and Humblefish and him have written plenty of QT answers and advice here and elsewhere.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back