Quarantine Tanks

GEORGE WALTER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am quite new to the reefing experience (all previous experience is with fresh water) and I am trying to take things nice and slow. I've read a number of suggestions when introducing new livestock, chief among them being to quarantine new fish and coral. I am hoping to add more to this tank (75 gal) that I inherited over time, so I am looking to set up a quarantine tank. Let me know how you all did it and what are some gotchas you wish you knew about when you made yours. Just some basic questions I have:
What size should it be?
Sand or no sand, rocks?
What type of filtration?
Pump or just an air-stone or power-heads?
Should it be low or high flow?
I'm guessing it should be fully cycled?

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All good questions George!

Size, well that depends on the size and activity level of the fish being quarantined and what your protocol will be. Filtration can be simple...a HOB filter with sponges seeded in your sump for a few weeks. Some of my QT tanks (the ones I use for TTM) have just flow from the over sized HOB filter. Some such as the 20 long I use for chloroquine phosphate has a decent sized power head in addition to the HOB filter. Again depends on what protocol you plan to employ. In it's basic form a QT tank requires only a filter, heater, and some PVC fittings for hiding places.

Here's a good read on what you need and how to use it!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 29.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back