Quarantine tanks

Medic755

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you do to get fish to eat in qt? specifically an achillies tang. Was reproted to be eating LRS fish frenzy at store. I've tried LRS nano, frozen mysis, frozen super brine shrimp, green and red algae on a clip and green algae rubberbanded to a rock.

Jet915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is mine. Although I would call it more of a QT/ Acclimation tank then anything. It has a aqua life skimmer on it as well as a aqua clear 20 HOB running a in tank setup. I also put a feeding ring in it for the moment. It also has live rock as well and live sand. It has two clownfish waiting to go into the DT. The probes are back in the DT

image.jpeg

So I'm thinking of setting up a QT tank but if u put live rock and live sand, wouldn't the medication kill off the bacteria?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking of setting up a QT tank but if u put live rock and live sand, wouldn't the medication kill off the bacteria?
I'd be less concerned about the bacteria, meds don't affect it much. Everyone has their own methods. Live rock and sand can absorb the medications though making harder to control dosing, and maintaining therapudic levels. I don't use any sand or rock, but put in pvc pipe so the fish have places to hide/sleep etc.

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after reading all these responses, my thoughts are to use a 15 g cube I have as an observation tank for all new fish and inverts. Live rock in this one along with water from the DT (added at weekly water changes). When a QT is needed for treatment, set it up temporary and drain/clean when done. As an additional measure, on the QT would it be beneficial to use a canister filter to polish and clean the water? Will a canister filter remove any disease/parasites/infections?

Ahbaloch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant find formaldehyde!?? Or formalin

Anyone got some extra or point me the right way!?

dugthefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT question....do you break down and clean your QT between fish? Soon to be stocking a new system, planning on doing 2-3 per QT cycle. Assuming no issues and fish are good after 28 days, is it ok to place new fish in the QT as soon as the previous batch is placed in the DT?

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a fine line between a QT and new fish tank. If I have to have a QT it’s generally because of a disease outbreak. That tank I will tear down and clean after each episode. If it’s new fish or inverts for the DT, I treat with copper for two weeks. Since I only introduce new members infrequently, I’ll drain it only to a level to keep my rock wet with an airstone. I still try and put some of the DT water in there with the water changes. That will keep some of the beneficial bacteria in the QT tank.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think more photos of QT tanks are needed.
Here are a couple:
259C8E60-3CA6-4742-9013-A149B8FD0FBF.jpeg
Rubbermaid trough with old skimmer, airstone bubbler and netting to keep the jumpers in. (For large or multiples longer term.)
image.jpg
30 gal Brutes for TTM of large or multiple fish. (Airstone, thermometer, screen top)
40EF9A53-8AFD-451A-AF32-F340FC314FF3.jpeg
8 gal IM tanks that were in a garage sale.

I have now learned the importance of having a stocked fish medicine cabinet and qt tank selection. Also have on hand, extra airline tubing, air stones, heaters, cheap thermometers, pumps and ways to cover the tops.
My extra QTs are stored in a garage...make sure to have tight lids on them or seal them in a garbage bag to keep toxic garage fumes out...and wipe them down with vinegar before use.

Nokiaec11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!, some of the QT tanks sound impressive, I only have a 10gal bare bottom and sponge filter...My acclimation is just a 5 gal Lowes bucket and a drip line...I use Stress Guard, Para Guard, and Prazi to help ease the transition and take care of some issues the fish may have.

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Christmas Wrasse has been in my 10 gallon QT since Thursday. She is sleeping in the sand container I gave her which is good and she was eating up until I added PraziPro. I was torn on it because some people have had bad experiences with wrasses with it, and some people swear by it. Since she has been in the tank she just continuously swims against the glass on the right side of the tank and looks very stressed. Normal QT behavior?

Parameters: Ammonia 0, PH 8.0, 1.025, 78 degrees. I put half a bottle of BioSpira in the tank when I set it up, I'm running an Aquaclear Mini with ceramic and floss.

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my wrasses (yellow coris and ruby head) spent 24 hours in Prazipro with no problems.
They do have unusual behavior in QT (swimming along surface, pacing the sides, the ruby even swims like a dolphin with one eye out of the water looking at you), however, I believe it's because they don't have the swimming space, the live rock or lots of sand to inspect.
Ambient lighting, a tight fitting lid and a quiet tank location is also important.

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both my wrasses (yellow coris and ruby head) spent 24 hours in Prazipro with no problems.
They do have unusual behavior in QT (swimming along surface, pacing the sides, the ruby even swims like a dolphin with one eye out of the water looking at you), however, I believe it's because they don't have the swimming space, the live rock or lots of sand to inspect.
Ambient lighting, a tight fitting lid and a quiet tank location is also important.

Thanks for the reassurance. Did you run carbon to remove the Prazipro after 24 hours?

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated the fish with Prazi in a Brute bin with airstone for 24 and then transferred them into a long term qt.
Seems like carbon and some big water changes would be good.
Search "Running Carbon to remove Prazipro" here on R2R, think there is a thread.

HumuhumuFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I treated the fish with Prazi in a Brute bin with airstone for 24 and then transferred them into a long term qt.
Seems like carbon and some big water changes would be good.
Search "Running Carbon to remove Prazipro" here on R2R, think there is a thread.

Thanks I was curious because I thought it needed to be in the tank for 5-7 days to be effective.

James Hopkins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That QT looks a little large. how many gallons is it?
dosing meds and water changes can get pricey.

Back