Quarantine tanks

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by Checkitout, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Medic755

Medic755 Active Member

What do you do to get fish to eat in qt? specifically an achillies tang. Was reproted to be eating LRS fish frenzy at store. I've tried LRS nano, frozen mysis, frozen super brine shrimp, green and red algae on a clip and green algae rubberbanded to a rock.

2. iwishihadgills

iwishihadgills Member

Great thread

3. Jet915

Jet915 Member

So I'm thinking of setting up a QT tank but if u put live rock and live sand, wouldn't the medication kill off the bacteria?

4. HotRocks

HotRocks Fish Fanatic! R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I'd be less concerned about the bacteria, meds don't affect it much. Everyone has their own methods. Live rock and sand can absorb the medications though making harder to control dosing, and maintaining therapudic levels. I don't use any sand or rock, but put in pvc pipe so the fish have places to hide/sleep etc.

Greenstreet.1 likes this.
  5. GWHouston

GWHouston Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

So after reading all these responses, my thoughts are to use a 15 g cube I have as an observation tank for all new fish and inverts. Live rock in this one along with water from the DT (added at weekly water changes). When a QT is needed for treatment, set it up temporary and drain/clean when done. As an additional measure, on the QT would it be beneficial to use a canister filter to polish and clean the water? Will a canister filter remove any disease/parasites/infections?

6. Ahbaloch

Ahbaloch Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Cant find formaldehyde!?? Or formalin

Anyone got some extra or point me the right way!?

Draft saved Draft deleted