Quarantine

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proactive treatment or watch and observe first ?

my first batch of fish had no quarantine and just straight to the display - then had ich , so everyone got a nice big round of ich , put them in a bucket , cleaned quarantine tank with vinegar and back they went for 2 weeks to observe .

with new fish do you go straight to treating even if they look healthy? Or do you watch and see ?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Proactive treatment or watch and observe first ?

my first batch of fish had no quarantine and just straight to the display - then had ich , so everyone got a nice big round of ich , put them in a bucket , cleaned quarantine tank with vinegar and back they went for 2 weeks to observe .

with new fish do you go straight to treating even if they look healthy? Or do you watch and see ?
I treat all my fish before entering my display with copper power and ati general cure and I keep them in QT for a few weeks afterwards to make sure they are eating well and look healthy.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many approaches to quarantining fish. Some isolate new fish in a separate tank and feed and observe and then treat only as symptoms present; others treat prophylactically. No right or wrong answer really. I’ve had a long track record of success using the observation quarantine approach, so that is my preference. At the very least, I think it is prudent to get a fish eating before blasting it with a cocktail of meds.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many approaches to quarantining fish. Some isolate new fish in a separate tank and feed and observe and then treat only as symptoms present; others treat prophylactically. No right or wrong answer really. I’ve had a long track record of success using the observation quarantine approach, so that is my preference. At the very least, I think it is prudent to get a fish eating before blasting it with a cocktail of meds.

Thats really refreshing to hear. Im from Canada, and since everything has been pulled off the shelves for us, we have no choice but to watch and observe. Makes sense, although I see the other side of things as well. I also know thag excessive use of antibiotics has contributed to the ever changing world of bacteria, so here's to hoping all of our fish live healthy long lives lol

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats really refreshing to hear. Im from Canada, and since everything has been pulled off the shelves for us, we have no choice but to watch and observe. Makes sense, although I see the other side of things as well. I also know thag excessive use of antibiotics has contributed to the ever changing world of bacteria, so here's to hoping all of our fish live healthy long lives lol
You do have a choice. Its called TTM. I prefer it over copper.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

same , the meds I have now is probably all I will have for a long time . So definitely don’t want to “waste” it unnecessarily, but at the same time don’t want to save it - infect everyone fish- and then be in bigger trouble

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do have a choice. Its called TTM. I prefer it over copper.

Thanks...i know. Sadly, I've learned all of this PRIOR to getting started in the hobby. Seeing as there is so much to learn about the hobby I general I never knew all of this existed. TTM seems doable...I've just got one quarentine tank up and running, now I habe to convince my partner to let me get ANOTHER one. The other option would be hyposalinity...but as you know thag can be quite tough as well. Im looking into where to get copper. It may be rough to get my hands on Chloroquine now as I can blame that one on Trump lol

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
same , the meds I have now is probably all I will have for a long time . So definitely don’t want to “waste” it unnecessarily, but at the same time don’t want to save it - infect everyone fish- and then be in bigger trouble

Have you went across the border (not now but before) to get supplies? If so any issues? Once the borders open and things are safe thats my next try.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...i know. Sadly, I've learned all of this PRIOR to getting started in the hobby. Seeing as there is so much to learn about the hobby I general I never knew all of this existed. TTM seems doable...I've just got one quarentine tank up and running, now I habe to convince my partner to let me get ANOTHER one. The other option would be hyposalinity...but as you know thag can be quite tough as well. Im looking into where to get copper. It may be rough to get my hands on Chloroquine now as I can blame that one on Trump lol
You can buy a decent size plastic container to use. Doesn't have to be a tank. ;)

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would treat right away. You're just wasting more time observing. Ich can be so small that you can't see it. Also ich can be inside the fish gills too.

The problem with just observing is the fact a parasitic infection may not show any outward signs. I always treat fish prior to going into my DT. You will be surprised how easy ‘hard to keep’ fish actually are. Once your remove the most common causes of death, most fish become very hardy.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with just observing is the fact a parasitic infection may not show any outward signs. I always treat fish prior to going into my DT. You will be surprised how easy ‘hard to keep’ fish actually are. Once your remove the most common causes of death, most fish become very hardy.
Oh I’m feeling so much regret right now .
school of chromis ,red sore disease , 1 dead , 1spiraling.
Should have just done copper right away

lesson learned

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I’m feeling so much regret right now .
school of chromis ,red sore disease , 1 dead , 1spiraling.
Should have just done copper right away

lesson learned

Sadly this is how most of us learned, shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly this is how most of us learned, shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

honestly sometimes this hobby just kicks you in the butt .

I knew chromis were prone to bullying each other to death and was hoping a large QT and display would lessen that .

I also knew they needed frequent feedings .

I have never seen mention to the red sore disease until I googled chromis red lesions

Also didn’t know it could infect clowns , so now I’m like well this fish is never entering my display now
$8 chromis is one thing - $100 clown

literally threw everything that touched the qt in a bucket of bleach

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the camp of putting new fish in QT, and observe for the first week. Once they are "looking healthy" I'll decided whether to continue to observe for another couple of weeks or to start meds. But I just think that you need to let the fish settle in a bit before stressing it out with meds.

This is such a hotly debated topic, so the answers will be all over the place.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the camp of putting new fish in QT, and observe for the first week. Once they are "looking healthy" I'll decided whether to continue to observe for another couple of weeks or to start meds. But I just think that you need to let the fish settle in a bit before stressing it out with meds.

This is such a hotly debated topic, so the answers will be all over the place.

I haven't added a new fish to my DT since I first started in this hobby. Haven't been going long but I'm 5 months in and I have 4 fish. 2 clowns a Goby and a Royal Gamma.

Just for kicks I went to a Big Als here near my hometown we live in Canada. I asked what their protocol was when they get a new shipment in. She said..."we drip acclimate them for 4 hours sometimes" and "we try to deworm them" and said they may use medications if needed. But being from Canada, you're literally having to put trust in these people. Which...is not easy to do. Needless to say...i have a quarentine tank running for 2 months...no fish in it...waiting until the borders open so that I can try to snag me some copper or something...just in case I decide to buy even 1 fish. We are forced to "observe". So i won't get another (which is so hard) until I get my hands on something...so far...a GF of mine faked a vaginal infection so I can get some metronidazole...and maybe I got my hands on some prazipro...so hard tho.

OP
OP
Cstar_BC

Cstar_BC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't added a new fish to my DT since I first started in this hobby. Haven't been going long but I'm 5 months in and I have 4 fish. 2 clowns a Goby and a Royal Gamma.

Just for kicks I went to a Big Als here near my hometown we live in Canada. I asked what their protocol was when they get a new shipment in. She said..."we drip acclimate them for 4 hours sometimes" and "we try to deworm them" and said they may use medications if needed. But being from Canada, you're literally having to put trust in these people. Which...is not easy to do. Needless to say...i have a quarentine tank running for 2 months...no fish in it...waiting until the borders open so that I can try to snag me some copper or something...just in case I decide to buy even 1 fish. We are forced to "observe". So i won't get another (which is so hard) until I get my hands on something...so far...a GF of mine faked a vaginal infection so I can get some metronidazole...and maybe I got my hands on some prazipro...so hard tho.

I have a bottle of Cupramine I could send you .

prazi good luck , I know I can get nitrofurazone powder from my vet since I’m in farm town

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 68 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back