Quarantined Corals?

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT corals at all, but, I inspect, remove plug, dip, rinse, repeat.
Would not trust anyone’s QT anyways, just like making my own water.
I know, no help.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know or can you recommend where to purchase quarantined corals? Thanks!
Don’t think any vendor actually do. You might want to just dip it and quarantine them yourself then dip them again before adding to DT.

I only dip them then straight to DT

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t QT corals at all, but, I inspect, remove plug, dip, rinse, repeat.
Would not trust anyone’s QT anyways, just like making my own water.
I know, no help.
Thanks for the reply either way. My wife is already a little annoyed with me having to drill holes in the wall, etc. So I’d like to avoid having to setup a QT tank. Found someone for fish, just hoping there’s one for corals as well.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals generally are not QT because it’s hard to mimic the required water chemistry and lighting requirements in a home environment.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals generally are not QT because it’s hard to mimic the required water chemistry and lighting requirements in a home environment.
I'm currently quarantining a bunch of coral I purchased of someone else. It's not that hard. 55 gallon tank with spare lights, a hob filter, heater, sponge filter, and wave maker. 10 gallon weekly water changes and kalkwasser in the ato and the big 3 are all stable. I dose benereef or reef roids twice a week to keep nutrients up.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt frag tank with some damsels in it. The setup goes. I add corals or inverts and after a month if the damsels look perfectly healthy we’re on the road to assuming that no fish parasites came on the frags. Also they get dipped as well

Afrashz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out TidalGardens on YouTube. They have done many videos on their quarantine process

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think tsm aquatics keeps all their corals in a fishless environment.
I was just at TSM last week to pick up some shrimp and crabs. I think all but one of their coral tanks was fishless. The one that did have fish, had a pair that have been in the system for quite a while and they fish were quarantined with TSM's process. If you're concerned, call them. I'm a novice and maybe naive, but they seem very straightforward and honest.

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks for the leads on TSM and Tidal Gardens. Looks like I’ll be getting a 10g and some cheap lights/filter!

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a qt frag tank with some damsels in it. The setup goes. I add corals or inverts and after a month if the damsels look perfectly healthy we’re on the road to assuming that no fish parasites came on the frags. Also they get dipped as well
That seams like a bad idea. What if the damsel doesn’t present signs because sometimes fish don’t?
I think if this was going to be my method of using fish to “inform” that I would use black mollies that I changed over from freshwater and have never been exposed or potentially exposed to a marine pathogen to build an immunity. That is a true “canary” fish that will definitely present signs.

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That seams like a bad idea. What if the damsel doesn’t present signs because sometimes fish don’t?
I think if this was going to be my method of using fish to “inform” that I would use black mollies that I changed over from freshwater and have never been exposed or potentially exposed to a marine pathogen to build an immunity. That is a true “canary” fish that will definitely present signs.
It’s actually not the plan and I have a cycled qt tank going at all times. But I just meant that in theory when you have a tank full of corals and inverts you never know when there safe to go into the main display so a couple fish that maintain that system can help a lot

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently quarantining a bunch of coral I purchased of someone else. It's not that hard. 55 gallon tank with spare lights, a hob filter, heater, sponge filter, and wave maker. 10 gallon weekly water changes and kalkwasser in the ato and the big 3 are all stable. I dose benereef or reef roids twice a week to keep nutrients up.
No question it is best to QT everything these days.
I just found it easier to put them under a magnifying glass for careful inspection.
My source are professionals of more than 30 years, so the risk for me is low.
They highlight there QT methods and will not sell you nothing until they are satisfied they are clean.

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s actually not the plan and I have a cycled qt tank going at all times. But I just meant that in theory when you have a tank full of corals and inverts you never know when there safe to go into the main display so a couple fish that maintain that system can help a lot
Not if your goal for QT is eliminating fish disease. Coral QT is 76 days fish less to ensure all parasites run through their life cycle and become extinct in that tank without a host. Keeping fish in there completely negates any work you did. Unless you go the “canary” fish route and that is a freshwater fish that has never ever been in saltwater before so it has 0 immunity and is guaranteed to contract every marine disease it encounters. Search threads about canary fish by @Humblefish.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just at TSM last week to pick up some shrimp and crabs. I think all but one of their coral tanks was fishless. The one that did have fish, had a pair that have been in the system for quite a while and they fish were quarantined with TSM's process. If you're concerned, call them. I'm a novice and maybe naive, but they seem very straightforward and honest.
Those may have been the pipefish that were held for me :)
I picked up the 3 that were in the tank with the sand sifting starfish, snails/shrimp and the carpet nem basket.

OP
OP
FortLivingRoom

FortLivingRoom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if your goal for QT is eliminating fish disease. Coral QT is 76 days fish less to ensure all parasites run through their life cycle and become extinct in that tank without a host. Keeping fish in there completely negates any work you did. Unless you go the “canary” fish route and that is a freshwater fish that has never ever been in saltwater before so it has 0 immunity and is guaranteed to contract every marine disease it encounters. Search threads about canary fish by @Humblefish.

So the purpose of the 76 days is strictly for fish diseases?

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the purpose of the 76 days is strictly for fish diseases?
Yes, because the parasite’s cyst can be on the plug, rock, shell of CUC etc. part of the treatment of the coral is dipping. Depends on your goal for QT. Are just monitoring/treating for coral pest or for fish disease also.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%

Back