Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a question about general maintenance for a QT tank,

I am ordering a shrimp goby pair for my fluval 13.5. The tiger pistol will go into the DT and the goby into QT with a therapeutic copper med. I just wanted to make sure I am setting it up properly and want to know the maintenance.

The only inhabitant in the tank will be a Hi fin Banded Goby. The QT tank is ten gallons. It will be filled 30% with water from the DT and the rest will be freshly mixed saltwater. It will be heated and will have an air stone, and a hang on back filter if needed.

Given the little waste a goby provides, I figure that 30% weekly water changes would be all that is necessary. I would likely feed him garlic-enriched pellets and occasional brine shrimp. I would likely observe it for the first week without adding any medication, then slowly raise the copper levels, and if he does not show any signs of parasites, I would move him into the DT at the end of my current fallow period.

Is this an appropriate procedure for quarantining the goby?
How do these fish react to copper?
Lastly, is it safe to be adding water from the DT if it is currently running fallow from a velvet/ich outbreak a few months ago, or should the water be brand new? If the water is brand new, will the little bacteria be okay for such a low-waste fish, if I raise the water changes to twice a week?

Thank you!

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use water from a tank running fallow, since that would risk introducing the velvet/ich to the quarantine. But there aren't really bacteria in the water column anyway - to seed a new tank to avoid a cycle you want to use some media (eg piece of sponge in the filter, or something like bioballs).

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use water from a tank running fallow, since that would risk introducing the velvet/ich to the quarantine. But there aren't really bacteria in the water column anyway - to seed a new tank to avoid a cycle you want to use some media (eg piece of sponge in the filter, or something like bioballs).
Thanks. Also, seeings its just a goby, I'd imagine bioload would be enough for a little amount of bacteria to handle?

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Also, seeings its just a goby, I'd imagine bioload would be enough for a little amount of bacteria to handle?
Not sure, sorry - I'm new as well and also planning to get a goby :)
I believe it's also possible to just keep a close eye on ammonia (eg with a Seachem alert badge) and use a combination of frequent water changes and maybe Prime to detoxify. But if you are treating with any meds the frequent water changes would make dosing difficult, I'd imagine.

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May as well put the filter on. The things and the little bits he misses..
Use biological and mechanical filtration. NO CARBON.

Cole.mormon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes i would suggest it. Cycle the tank first
Put dome sand enough for a burrow and a rock
Make sure the rock goes in first then sand

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back