Quarantining a Tang

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything I have ever read about tangs demands that they have lots of swimming space, even the small ones, to where many recommend against putting a 2" hippo in a 55 gallon, regardless of growth/rehoming/upgrading tank size.

So my question is, given that many quarantine tanks are in the ~20 gallon range, how do you quarantine a tang? It seems like a really good idea to do so, given their susceptibility to ich?

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smaller they are the better they take it. I just upgraded tanks and decided to run my fish through hyposalinity just to ensure a good clean start on the new system. I have a 5 inch fox face and a 4 inch scopas tang. They were visibly stressed by the small tank for the first week or so then settled in. They were very happy to get out of that tank and into their new 6 foot though.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 20 long makes a suitable QT for juvenile tangs less than 3 inches or so, in my experience.

Large specimens, or certain species might need a bigger QT of course.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup .... all but my Naso tangs have passed through my 20L quarantine tank ..... some have passed in it too :(

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Smaller tanks (like 20-29g) aren't ideal, but I think most people find them acceptable for quarantine as long as the fish can move about.

Kostas G.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pass all my fish through tank transfer, including tangs. I would say tangs take it ok in the 20L buckets I use with daily tank transfer and eat from day 1. What is a must is something for them to hide(like a cup for example) and some seaweed the last few hours prior to the transfer. This way some even hand feed during tank transfer :)

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's good. I haven't tank transferred anything yet, but it seems a simple enough process. If they can take that, I am sure they can live a few weeks in a 20gal QT.

Kostas G.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure they can, if cycled well enough. Otherwise I find the ammonia raises really fast in new quarantine tanks and find its better and easier to tank transfer even with a smaller volume of water(because dealing with a lot of water and large tanks to disinfect takes a lot of time and meticulousness while a bucket is easy to just wash off with boiling water and kill off everything there might be on it without fear the silicones will be ruined not waiting for the tank to fully dry out.) That way I find the fish heal better with the fresh seawater they are out in each day, than in a quarantine tank where ammonia starts making an appearance :)

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read so many stories on "to quarantine or not to quarantine". I believe it is necessary to quarantine, but IMO the question is where? Often times when reading user accounts of home quarantine, the fish do not survive. I believe this may be due to the stress of a less than ideal quarantine environment (small tank, rapid parameter fluctuations) and added handling of the fish. Nonetheless, if the fish is acquired from a source where there has NOT been a quarantine regimen at the seller location, it is prudent to quarantine at home. Ideally, you purchase from a source that performs a rigid quarantine protocol before they release the livestock for sale. In my case this is the preferred method. Accordingly, I choose to purchase from such trusted online outlets as TSM Aquatics and Divers Den or a LFS who seriously quarantines. You pay a bit of a price premium but IMO the peace of mind is worth it. In the case of TSM:

"We don't take the responsibility for the care our live animals lightly! We have made significant investments into infrastructure and staff to assure that we have that absolute best fish or coral available to introduce into your aquarium. After arriving in our facilities, all fish must undergo a 30 day quarantining process before they will enter our sales systems. The fish are thoroughly examined for any known health problems with that species, we look for any signs of disease, and even take scrapes that are examined under microscope by our biologists. We assure a healthy eating fish that you will enjoy in your home aquarium. "

At Diver's Den:

"The fish you purchase from the Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store are the healthiest ornamental marine fish available. Whether it's budget-friendly damsels or a coveted Gem Tang, every single fish at our Coral Farm and Aquatic Life Facility receives our full attention and the highest level of professional care. All fish are quarantined and acclimated to captive conditions under strict protocols regardless of species. " Extensive information on DD quarantine may be found here:
Of course, they also say to quarantine as more of a disclaimer. But, IMO the need is clearly minimized and will relieve the stress on the fish when quarantined at home. I have not lost any fish from either outlet and no introduction of disease or pests.

Controversial topic, I know, but I thought I would add my 2 cents to the thread. Happy reefing!

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the same thing at my usual stores, rigorous quarantine prior to sale, and they won't sell fish that look ill.

That still didn't stop velvet finding its way into my tank. And I desperately do not want to deal with ich.

Though I do plan to upgrade to a 210 before long. Could then use my 55 as a QT for a little tang. Was just hoping to get it sooner than later to get a little growth.

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe the main cause of death in a home qt tank is user error. Idk about your LFS but all my LFS stuff adult tangs, Angel's, puffers etc etc in 20gal tanks and they sometimes stay there for months. They know what they are doing though...

I have read so many stories on "to quarantine or not to quarantine". I believe it is necessary to quarantine, but IMO the question is where? Often times when reading user accounts of home quarantine, the fish do not survive. I believe this may be due to the stress of a less than ideal quarantine environment (small tank, rapid parameter fluctuations) and added handling of the fish. Nonetheless, if the fish is acquired from a source where there has NOT been a quarantine regimen at the seller location, it is prudent to quarantine at home. Ideally, you purchase from a source that performs a rigid quarantine protocol before they release the livestock for sale. In my case this is the preferred method. Accordingly, I choose to purchase from such trusted online outlets as TSM Aquatics and Divers Den or a LFS who seriously quarantines. You pay a bit of a price premium but IMO the peace of mind is worth it. In the case of TSM:

"We don't take the responsibility for the care our live animals lightly! We have made significant investments into infrastructure and staff to assure that we have that absolute best fish or coral available to introduce into your aquarium. After arriving in our facilities, all fish must undergo a 30 day quarantining process before they will enter our sales systems. The fish are thoroughly examined for any known health problems with that species, we look for any signs of disease, and even take scrapes that are examined under microscope by our biologists. We assure a healthy eating fish that you will enjoy in your home aquarium. "

At Diver's Den:

"The fish you purchase from the Diver's Den® WYSIWYG Store are the healthiest ornamental marine fish available. Whether it's budget-friendly damsels or a coveted Gem Tang, every single fish at our Coral Farm and Aquatic Life Facility receives our full attention and the highest level of professional care. All fish are quarantined and acclimated to captive conditions under strict protocols regardless of species. " Extensive information on DD quarantine may be found here:
Of course, they also say to quarantine as more of a disclaimer. But, IMO the need is clearly minimized and will relieve the stress on the fish when quarantined at home. I have not lost any fish from either outlet and no introduction of disease or pests.

Controversial topic, I know, but I thought I would add my 2 cents to the thread. Happy reefing!

Mattdavid121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tang I’ve QT’d has been in a 20g plastic clear tub. I’ve never had an issue adding them to the main display, nor have I lost any in the process. I keep them in my garage, using PVC pipes, doing WC once a week or if my ammonia starts to spike. I’ve also QT’d 3-4 tangs at once. I always find it easier for them to adapt to the DS all at once and none of them being aggressive towards the others. Good luck

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I have just the thing, except it's black, not clear. Same volume, but much longer than my actual 20 gallon aquarium. Would it being opaque make a difference you think?

On a side note, they accidentally sold my reserved fish, but luckily they are getting a shipment with more tangs tomorrow. Just means I have another week to set up and prepare. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back