Quarantining an Achilles Tank question

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I picked up an Achilles Tang from one of the big online outlets. Other than being a little skinny and having a mark on his face he seems to be ok. After acclimating him I put him in my QT that’s been dosed with Chloroquine Phosphate. The other fish in the tank are a pair of cardinals and a gladiator clown. Do I have an issue or are the fish swimming leaning over not happy with their reflection in the bottom of the tank. It’s just the clown and Achilles.
IMG_8576.JPG

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s getting light from the window next to the tank. No light over the tank but enough for a reflection to show. Now that the sun is down he has seemed to calm down.

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of stressful knowing what you spend on one of these guys for him to swim on his side but I guess I should realize that blue tangs are know for laying on their sides when stressed.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a new pair of frostbite clownfish to a new bare bottom 20G the other day. One of the fish seemed to do the same thing. However, he/she has stopped after 3 days of being in the tank and once acclimated. It may be the same situation with your achilles tang. I wouldn't worry about it too much yet unless you can see some physical signs of stress/illnesses like ick and him scraping his sides against a rough surface to remove the parasites. Achilles tangs are super susceptible to ick and other fish diseases.

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust me my eyes are peeled looking for stressors. Hopefully the CP will do a better gob that I had with copper.

Thanks for the Info

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Achilles does that with lights off. But lights on he's always moving. But it could be just acclimation as well IMO

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I’m getting ready to purchase one. Where did you get the CP from? Please keep us updated on your observations and treatment. Thanks

They are just so beautiful.

6CAE449B-FC9B-419F-98F1-96B8435F971A.jpeg
They look so good in the 750xxl too!

I used coppersafe. My guy did just fine in copper. Just make sure eating well first!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember that the AT loves flow. If you have not, once he appears settled in drop a powerhead into the QT tank.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be interested in his reflection, but he may also simply be orienting himself to the light. For some fish, the direction light is coming from seems to be almost as important as what their inner ears are telling them about "which way is up".

~Bruce, who loves achilles tangs . . .

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly acquired tangs can behave strangely. After 24 hours he should be cruising the tank.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to making sure there's enough flow in the QT tank. I quarantined my achilles tang in a sterlite container so that it had enough room and after a few days it acted normally. They LOVE flow though, so try to keep the water moving.

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I quarantined mine with the ttm in 5 gallon buckets but once he went into the main tank he started fighting himself in the bottom if the sand blows away. Not sure what you will be able to do in a quarantine tank other than maybe putting a matte plastic material on the bottom. Mine won't stop to eat or anything untill I cover it up

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s definitely trying to fight it’s reflection in the bottom of the tank. Got up this morning with sun light coming thru the window and things were fine. He’s seems to be eating spirulina brine with vigor. So how do I reduce reflection? White plexiglass? The tank is on a dark brown table so I’m thinking of going with a light color. What about just putting white paper under the tank? Suggestions?

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you drip acclimate to assure no acclimation shock? How is he doing today? Do you have anything in the tank like 3" PVC for him to hide in and get some rest?

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet. Consider what this fish I have spared no expense. He was drip acclimated to the QT tank. I have several pieces of PVC and I kept the lights off. This morning I peeked in on him and he was swimming around thank God. I cracked the blinds on to get a little light in the room and he went straight to chasing his reflection. I them slide some white paper under the tank and he’s now back to chilling out. He’s still eating Spiralina Brine so I’m really happy about that considering the appetite suppression that’s caused by CP. So far so good.

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that you were able to calm him down with the paper. I sometimes tape paper to the sides of QT tanks to give the fish some extra privacy as well. It helps them settle in better it seems.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back