Quarantining an Achilles Tank question

Bmezz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You bet. Consider what this fish I have spared no expense. He was drip acclimated to the QT tank. I have several pieces of PVC and I kept the lights off. This morning I peeked in on him and he was swimming around thank God. I cracked the blinds on to get a little light in the room and he went straight to chasing his reflection. I them slide some white paper under the tank and he’s now back to chilling out. He’s still eating Spiralina Brine so I’m really happy about that considering the appetite suppression that’s caused by CP. So far so good.
good for you- they take time-- i have a powder blue similar stuff- been transitioned to the display tank but stayed in a cave for 2 weeks and has a 180 gallon to swim! now finally he uses it! they are very fussy. keep giving him seaweed they love it!

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good for you- they take time-- i have a powder blue similar stuff- been transitioned to the display tank but stayed in a cave for 2 weeks and has a 180 gallon to swim! now finally he uses it! they are very fussy. keep giving him seaweed they love it!

How are you feeling nori in QT. When I tried last time it clouded up the water.

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a clip no issue-- may be a reason for that foam filter to help handle the bio load..

Can i use a foam filter while dosing CP? I thought it would kill the bacteria. Hopefully I’m wrong. I have several of them I could use.

Tanglover11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the previous advise on flow, they are notoriously hard to acclimate especially if they are thin. Flow definitely helps along with hiding spaces and make sure it eats. If you can get it to eat New life spectrum small pellets it can really help to put on weight on your Achilles. Nori rubber banded to a small rock will help it to adjust. My 6 year old Achilles looked just like yours and was thin timid and frail now it is Fat, aggressive and mean! It is around 6” long

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i use a foam filter while dosing CP? I thought it would kill the bacteria. Hopefully I’m wrong. I have several of them I could use.
Carbon in the filter bad when dosing CP/copper; foam filter good. :)

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are prertty but mine is an butt. Terrorizes both regal and sailfin.

Thinking of throwing a naso and trigger in and buying popcorn..... jk.

If he eats and survives a few weeks, you will be golden.

Feed ALOT, and a variety of foods. And keep that water in the qt clean. Uncycled, overly sanitized QT water can turn into a toxic stew fast and can kill an acan nearly as fast as dz can, faster imo.

OP
OP
Steved350

Steved350

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s survived 2 days in QT so far and seems to be much better than yesterday. Just installed a foam filter and plan to do a water change tomorrow just for the hell of it. Need to find my scale to weigh out the proper amount of CP for the water change.

mdrobc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it’s definitely trying to fight it’s reflection in the bottom of the tank. Got up this morning with sun light coming thru the window and things were fine. He’s seems to be eating spirulina brine with vigor. So how do I reduce reflection? White plexiglass? The tank is on a dark brown table so I’m thinking of going with a light color. What about just putting white paper under the tank? Suggestions?

Dark room maybe help? I've seen some folks who spray paint the bottom of their QT and backs using black or gray paint from Home Depot to prevent shine/reflections. May work. I did that with the back of my 210g rather than buying it blacked out or using vinyl and no issues at all and did the same to my freshwater 125g African chilid tank. Worth a try.
+1 to making sure there's enough flow in the QT tank. I quarantined my achilles tang in a sterlite container so that it had enough room and after a few days it acted normally. They LOVE flow though, so try to keep the water moving.
+1 I tried an AC last Sept when setting up my tank and it did not go well...despite putting him in a 20g QT and using Copper...he passed in my DT. I think my mistake was flow...they love flow and do not do well in small QTs with no flow I hear. My PBT who I tried after did better as did my Clown tang but wouldn't do it again with a reliable power-head in the tank. Almost pulled the trigger on another one but after my clown and sailfin likely killed my newly added Powder Brown Tang I decided to keep my $$ in my pocket and get one when I upgrade tanks/move houses next summer and have to break down my 210g! Then rehousing/re-acclimating my fish won't be as much an issue as they all will have to endure the transition. Good luck and let us know how it goes! :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back