Quarantining Corals

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I’m about to get a small qt tank for my corals. I’ll use this new qt for inverts(snails,crabs, shrimps, corals?)
I’ve a fish qt running side by side. I’ll do a proper 76 days of quarantining for inverts, the confusion I’ve is
1. which medications(dips) should I take for my corals.
2. Is it safe to qt hermits and snails together, as I’ve a 150gallon tank I’ll be getting them in large quantities and my qt will be small for them so I’m worried that hermit doesn’t start blood shed as they’ll be tight in space(lebensraum type lol jk).
3. Will adding a cleaner shrimp help, I know they’ll eat some tomonts of the cuc’s shells but are they effective in eating corals pests also?? Or only wrasses are the biological solution to this???
Any other way better I can do the qt procedure?? You’re suggestions are much needed! Thank you!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing something similar, and I am not doing any hermits as I've found about half will eat snails. Cleaner shrimp won't help with tormonts. Best bet is to do a good clean, cut off any bases of the frags and dip every week for a month or two. I brought in some aefw on some maricultured frags because I dipped once and put them in the tank.SSome wrasses will help, but dipping to disrupt the life cycle is better and a wrasse may just mask the problem. You want to see the problem in quarantine and address it.

A yellow tank or algae eating blenny like a lawnmower blenny may help, but realistically I haven't heard of many people quarantining the cuc, but it's probably not a bad idea.

OP
OP
uutank

uutank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing something similar, and I am not doing any hermits as I've found about half will eat snails. Cleaner shrimp won't help with tormonts. Best bet is to do a good clean, cut off any bases of the frags and dip every week for a month or two. I brought in some aefw on some maricultured frags because I dipped once and put them in the tank.SSome wrasses will help, but dipping to disrupt the life cycle is better and a wrasse may just mask the problem. You want to see the problem in quarantine and address it.

A yellow tank or algae eating blenny like a lawnmower blenny may help, but realistically I haven't heard of many people quarantining the cuc, but it's probably not a bad idea.

Yes I’ve heard people about adding wrasses, gobies and blennies to coral qt as they just binge on the pests. But then won’t it be detrimental to add a fish to tank as the fish might catch some theronts or tomonts which might be on cuc shells, or corals??

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are doing qt for ich, then fish don't make sense. I suspect most don't qt cuc. I don't. My coral qt tank has rock and sand and that makes getting cuc difficult to get back out. It's more a place to observe and see if the corals are healthy, watch for pests, and let them get healthy before going into the display. I'll prob. add a worker fish for pests and poop, but not a pod hunter as the tank is crawling with pods.

Almondkc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was advised to use Two Little Fishes Revive Coral Cleaner when I was getting new corals and when I did my fragging. It was formulated by Julian Sprung and I have had great results with it. Most others seem to be just iodine based, which works but Revive seems to go to the next step in what managing new corals/frags. I recently read an article that also suggests the removal of plugs on newly received frags and re mounting them. Hope this helps

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 101 77.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 8.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 17 13.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back