Quarantining lettuce sea slugs?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to get some more lettuce sea slugs and/or emerald crabs, and given I had issues with live stock from where I plan to buy from before, I thought to myself... maybe I should quarantine inverts?

Then I was like, wait I only know about quarantining fish, but not really inverts. So I googled and found articles such as this: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/coral-invert-quarantine-time-frames.334584/

Which is awesome, until I get to the seaslugs section and realize we don't exactly know too much about what they can or cannot carry yet.

So my question now is, almost 3.5 years later, anything new with (lettuce) sea slugs? Do we know more about what they may carry inside them that takes time for QTing to 'remove'? Or is it still just 75 days because we don't really know?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what type of holding facility did you plan to put this? It seems that many people have doubts about quarantining inverts because of fears that they won't be able to keep them fed in temporary holding tanks. I don't have any sea cucumbers, but keep my snails in jars until they're ready to go in the displays. I do have an emerald crab in its own 5g quarantine tank, as I'm afraid that it would eat the snails if they were kept together.

I haven't seen any studies involving the ich cycle and nudibranchs and/or sea slugs. I suppose that it's possible that it could encyst on them, so it's probably best to hold them for at least 45 days before putting them into the display.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what type of holding facility did you plan to put this? It seems that many people have doubts about quarantining inverts because of fears that they won't be able to keep them fed in temporary holding tanks. I don't have any sea cucumbers, but keep my snails in jars until they're ready to go in the displays. I do have an emerald crab in its own 5g quarantine tank, as I'm afraid that it would eat the snails if they were kept together.

I haven't seen any studies involving the ich cycle and nudibranchs and/or sea slugs. I suppose that it's possible that it could encyst on them, so it's probably best to hold them for at least 45 days before putting them into the display.
I have a cycled 2.65 gallon that I can chuck them in. Currently just have a single piece of coral. I reckon if need be I can just constantly chuck some algae from the main tank into this tank, and then once ready to chuck the lettuce sea slug into the display I'll do it. And since the 2.65 gal will just continue to be the coral tank (with no fish), I don't exactly need to do anything else to it.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a cycled 2.65 gallon that I can chuck them in. Currently just have a single piece of coral. I reckon if need be I can just constantly chuck some algae from the main tank into this tank, and then once ready to chuck the lettuce sea slug into the display I'll do it. And since the 2.65 gal will just continue to be the coral tank (with no fish), I don't exactly need to do anything else to it.
What are their nutritional requirements? Can they eat sinking algae pellets or do they require live micro and macroalgae?

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are their nutritional requirements? Can they eat sinking algae pellets or do they require live micro and macroalgae?
My current one eats all manners of algae in my tank, including hair algae. It has grown quite a bit since I got it, but there is still plenty of algae left and likely plenty of algae going forward, so I am looking to add a few more to help with the grazing.

TYmonster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. XD
I've been researching this for awhile and haven't been able to find much & I saw this thread. Mine is coming in the mail tomorrow! My current action plan is to: acclimate, rinse with DT water, then just run the tank fallow for 76 days since I'm already fish-less. My working-hypothesis is Sea Slugs & Cucumbers will end up being a 16 Day QT critter, but I'm struggling to find scientific literature to verify. Personally, I would do a 16 Day QT followed by a Black Molly QT if I were you, as you have a fish stocked DT.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back