Quarantining snails, shrimp and fish together

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 4 peppermint shrimp, 150 snails and a small foxface in a QT tank right now. I have not treated the fish with anything as of yet. It was pretty stressed the first 2 week with the snail die off and the ammonia build up but it has been pretty easy going these last 2 weeks.

Could I or should I treat them with anything? Do I need to separate them? (hopefully not) How much longer?

I know I should have asked these questions before I got them but I thought I knew. As things are churning in my head and as I am getting to the end of what I thought might be the end, I'm starting to question myself.

The snails spend a lot of time just not moving much. The foxface eats like a pig. And the peps scavenge. I'm feeding nori, flake, mysisi & spirulina and LRS.

thanks

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't treat them period.
Normal it takes only a week or ten days to QT inverts as snails, shrimps as they not a host, not a host as they will not get sick as a fish does.
You don't know if your fish is sick or carries something and it can take weeks before it can show up.
If you had the fish from a LFS you can say it has ICK, not uncommon as easy to threat but not with the inverts in there.
IMO, it's better to separate them.

#reefsquad

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree 100% It's useless to QT your inverts with fish present. The whole point is to keep them from introducing ick and velvet (among others) to your system. You can't be sure they are free of parasite cysts unless you leave them in a fishless system for 76 days. So, you'll need to separate them, leave the snails like I said, and if you need/want to prophylactically treat the fish then go ahead and do it at this time. Good luck! :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree 100% It's useless to QT your inverts with fish present. The whole point is to keep them from introducing ick and velvet (among others) to your system. You can't be sure they are free of parasite cysts unless you leave them in a fishless system for 76 days. So, you'll need to separate them, leave the snails like I said, and if you need/want to prophylactically treat the fish then go ahead and do it at this time. Good luck! :)
Agree again, 100%

OP
OP
malira

malira

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't treat them period.
Normal it takes only a week or ten days to QT inverts as snails, shrimps as they not a host, not a host as they will not get sick as a fish does.
You don't know if your fish is sick or carries something and it can take weeks before it can show up.
If you had the fish from a LFS you can say it has ICK, not uncommon as easy to threat but not with the inverts in there.

#reefsquad

So are you saying the four weeks of QT have been for nothing? I still need to QT the snails and shrimp for 7 to 10 days? Separately of course?

But with my foxface did the clock start when I put him in December 29th? Or does the clock start over?

Should I treat with just Prazipro and something for ick?

What do you suggest?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So are you saying the four weeks of QT have been for nothing? I still need to QT the snails and shrimp for 7 to 10 days? Separately of course?

But with my foxface did the clock start when I put him in December 29th? Or does the clock start over?

What do you suggest?
It starts over from when you sepearate inverts from the Foxface, if you wish to be safe.

I treat nearly all fish with coppersafe then prazipro.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still need to QT the snails and shrimp for 7 to 10 days?
76 days for snails and hermits. Shrimp can be put in the display after they molt.
I always treat my fish for ick and prazi.... sometimes that means TTM and sometimes that means copper.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you suggest?
Need to qt snails 76 days, and shrimp too since you have multiples.
If it was one shrimp you can just qt until it molt s, if that happens before 76 days.
It's basically the same time and rules as leaving your tank fallow, we are concerned with if ich encysted on the snails shells

Back