Queen Angelfish in a Reef Tank?

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of buying a queen angel from someone. I have SPS, high end chalices, duncans, 1 clam, acans, Wilsoni's, brain coral. Which of those will the queen end up having for dinner? I'm especially concerned about my chalices, will they eat the chalices?

noneck56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Queen angles should be kept in a fish only set up. You might be asking for trouble housing one in a reef tank. I had to find a new home for my queen, she liked the taste of my softies.

REEFKEEPER10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Queen angels are beautiful fish but they are only really big aquariums and fish only systems. They will make short work of most reef tanks. I'm not sure there is a coral that it want eat. I could be wrong. It want be the first time or the last.

OP
OP
ColaAddict

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know people with queens in an SPS only tank, they will probably try to eat LPS. I think I'm staying away from them.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had to give my bi-color angel away. She was fine with LPS, but when I added SPS, she couldn't resist those pretty little polyps popping out..lol

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would consider anything fleshy lunch. The few that are successful with them in reefs are SPS dominated and they have enough corals for the nipping to be spread out. They also feed many times throughout the day.

Braves Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its the down side to our hobby, the prettiest fish, Angels and Butterfly fish, they just won't do in a reef tank. As a general rule that I have seen, the nicer sps corals average around $50 to $60 per frag, you get a tank full of these corals and then add a Angel fish to the tank, I just wouldn't chance it. Like Aquaph 8 says there are some that have large tanks with enough corals to spread out the nipping.

xcorallusx

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's try to be a little helpful here, replies like this are not necessary.
a simple search for a queen angel will tell you that a queen angel will be too big for a 100 gallon tank. Most of the corals in your tank will be a tasty treat for the angel. Sorry I wasnt more helpful in my earlier post!

OP
OP
ColaAddict

ColaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180. I haven't updated my signature. and 5" of queen angel will take years to outgrow a 180. Anyways, I'm not getting one just coz of the nipping part.

jbmartelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how things can change also. Had a Maculosus for 4 years without him tasting my SPS. I added a couple Zoas for the heck of it and it didn't go well. The Zoas lasted about two months and after he destroyed those the SPS all of sudden seemed fair game. This took all of three days when I wasn't paying enough attention.
Best advice is large angels might seem fine for a while, but don't count on that being the norm. They might not even eat what they tear off. It's just the tearing that is part of their natural feeding movement.

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I always say I haven't read the post and am just replying from my personal experience. Two issues present themselves in this situation. A Queen Angelfish as you likely know is a Caribbean species. It can be kept with South Pacific animals but you are mixing species together that would never encounter each other naturally. This isn't uncommon in our hobby but I wanted to give you a heads up. Fish like any animal are individuals. Angelfish as a species are known to pick at various corals, mainly LPS. Your Queen may eat them or it may not. I have a Potter's angel in my reef that doesn't bother anything except sheets of Norri. You could have a similar experience or one much different. If you wanted my personal opinion, if your tank size and parameters are correct for a Queen angel I would give it a shot - being mindful of the fishes' behavior.

Alexandru B

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking of buying a queen angel from someone. I have SPS, high end chalices, duncans, 1 clam, acans, Wilsoni's, brain coral. Which of those will the queen end up having for dinner? I'm especially concerned about my chalices, will they eat the chalices?
How was your experience with the queen angel fish in a coral tank. I have one in my tank and not sure if he is eating my corals. I see him with the yellow tang nipping on some rocks and around corals cuz I have some alges but did not really see him eating the corals.

Charles4400

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6" adult emperor in my rsm650s (approx 150 display tank size) and he doesnt touch any sps or softies HOWEVER he did nip at my scolys and my trachys. I took those out and he hasnt bothered anything else including my lobos, duncan, toadstools, elegance coral or any inverts including my skunk and peppermint cleaners.

That was worth the trade imo.

I do always keep romaine lettuce on a veggie clip all day, and dried seaweed (purple and green) everyday so he has plenty to nibble on at all times (which he does)

He eats frozen and live blackworms like a pig.

Though large angels are all individuals I think keeping them well fed with veggies to always munch on increases your chances of him not going after corals.

20190208_153932.jpg

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Queen angles should be kept in a fish only set up. You might be asking for trouble housing one in a reef tank. I had to find a new home for my queen, she liked the taste of my softies.
what about anemones did she brother them

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6" adult emperor in my rsm650s (approx 150 display tank size) and he doesnt touch any sps or softies HOWEVER he did nip at my scolys and my trachys. I took those out and he hasnt bothered anything else including my lobos, duncan, toadstools, elegance coral or any inverts including my skunk and peppermint cleaners.

I do always keep romaine lettuce on a veggie clip all day, and dried seaweed (purple and green) everyday so he has plenty to nibble on at all times (which he does)

Though large angels are all individuals I think keeping them well fed with veggies to always munch on increases your chances of him not going after corals.

20190208_153932.jpg
wow there is hope want corals but queen keeps nipping at them . will she eat anemones first question and second if i put romaine lettuce in tank u think shell leave my corals alone .

nkarisny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20190208_153932.jpg
are u on instagram i need help? im under nikkisheffield

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IME there is no way to know. I had a queen angel in my tank - years and years ago - it did not bother coral. I have had blue-face angels in my tank - large ones - that did not bother coral. I had a lemon peel angel (a small one) that decimated my coral. IME - its all individual. For example - if the queen angel is doing well in a tank with coral - similar to yours - it might be ok. If not - I would not risk it.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back