Angels we have heard on high: Do you have angelfish in your tank?

Do you have angelfish in your tank?

• I currently keep Angelfish in my tank.

Votes: 197 47.8%
  • I have kept Angelfish in the past.

Votes: 60 14.6%
  • Not yet, but I would like to keep Angelfish in the future.

Votes: 98 23.8%
  • I am not interested in keeping Angelfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 12.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters

michael_cb_125

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept many species of angels in many of my reef tanks over the years.
Dwarf angels in my experience do not actually eat the coral tissue. Mine always nip at LPS, then return to eat the mucous secreted by the coral. Large angels are a different story for the most part. Many will tear flesh away from any LPS.
That said, some of my large angels never touched any corals.

From my experience the large angels that are safer with LPS are the following:
Bandit Angels
Blue Line Angels
Maze Angels
Regal Angels
Conspic Angels
Gold Flake
Griffis

The other large angels I kept would pick at LPS, but left the SPS alone:
Scribbled
Meredithi
Personifer
Queen
Majestic

I have kept the following dwarfs without any issue:
Collins
Joculator
Multibar
Golden
Potters
Venustus
Pygmy
Flameback
Fireball
Flame
Multicolor

Another thing to consider, a decent size HEALTHY coral colony can handle some nipping, as they do in the wild...

~Michael

Cajun86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Realizing that many marine angelfish are better suited for larger tanks, this seems like the right time of year to ask about angels in our aquariums. There are many types of Angelfish that are well known to the hobby, and they are stunning when they are healthy and well-cared for in an aquarium. Please tell us if you have any experience with Angelfish and if you have any tips to share. More specifically, let us know if you have angelfish in your tank.

LiveAquaria_PeppermintAngelfish.jpeg

Photo by @LiveAquaria

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”

My Blueface in 250gal fowlr

Attachments

• blue.jpg
    blue.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 58

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We missed connecting on North Fork (August 2022), when I visited Paul at his home on Long Island. I think you and Dave would have enjoyed meeting Paul. He is quite a pistol. He had just been interviewed by Humblefish.

You are correct, I am sure that we would have enjoyed meeting Paul. I always enjoy his posts.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Flame and it was a jerk, so I got rid of it. Have a Coral Beauty for over 5 years now and it is generally well behaved. Has some issues with meatier corals (ie Trachyphillia and Acans), but does well with Euphyllia Corals, Blastos, Duncans and Mushrooms).

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been having coral beauty for about a year. Noticed this past weekend, I caught him picking on my gonipora's. He's gotta go.

Danny McElroy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Realizing that many marine angelfish are better suited for larger tanks, this seems like the right time of year to ask about angels in our aquariums. There are many types of Angelfish that are well known to the hobby, and they are stunning when they are healthy and well-cared for in an aquarium. Please tell us if you have any experience with Angelfish and if you have any tips to share. More specifically, let us know if you have angelfish in your tank.

LiveAquaria_PeppermintAngelfish.jpeg

Photo by @LiveAquaria

This QOTD is sponsored by: www.tidalgardens.com

TidalGardensBanner1.jpeg

“The goal of Tidal Gardens is to offer the highest quality corals to those seeking a piece of that world without destroying it. We hope to instill a deep appreciation for the natural reefs and help develop a self-sustaining hobby that no longer requires the collection of fish and corals.”
Had a Regal Angel and Majestic Angel both juvenile captive bred purchased from Marine Collectors, and both quickly decided to start devouring the polyps on my SPS so I had to remove them. They are incredibly beautiful, but not for a reef tank from my point of view. I would have them again if I were to have a fish only system, but for me fish only is no fun.

Freeway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently Regal and Emperor in FOWLR, have kept Flame, Coral Beauty, and Multicolor in the past so I plan to get another dwarf species in the near future just haven't decided which one yet.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back