Question about a watchman goby??

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a yellow watchman today with a tiger pistol shrimp. The two almost instantaneously went to the same spot and started working on their new spot.
My question is about 10 minutes ago the watchman has come out of the perch he’s been in all day and is swimming around the tank like a mad man, mostly towards the top of the water column. Is this normal behavior?

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He doesn’t appear to be swimming against flow, just kind of all over the place. I just always thought they’d chill at the bottom

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best I could get for now

DE796119-1DDA-4461-878C-F51CE4FFA16D.jpeg 38DDF7EC-DC48-44F6-81BE-F8824853DC13.jpeg C06EF663-CFDC-4A23-BC3D-6D879F6B1F59.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Exploring tank. . . . not unusual.

vsolovyev

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that and was freaking out for a couple days when I first got it, even ended up in my filter sock a few times until I put a cover over the drain, 9 months later he is in the same spot everyday. It may just need to settle in, it’s a whole new setting for it after all

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine did that and was freaking out for a couple days when I first got it, even ended up in my filter sock a few times until I put a cover over the drain, 9 months later he is in the same spot everyday. It may just need to settle in, it’s a whole new setting for it after all
That’s what I was hoping, but I feel like in this hobby if you don’t know ask

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was swimming so close to the powerhead I thought it was going to get sucked. ;Nailbiting
I put a screen on the side of mine since my clowns claimed it as theirs, I just recently got a hammer coral to try and seduce them from the back corner (better chance of hitting the lottery I know)

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one today. He is doing same thing. He got sucked into my mp60 :( and then stuck to overflow. Dude has a death wish. Amazingly he is alive. But has a definite curve in his back.

Learned the hard way to cover my mp60 and 40s.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should’ve known better thinking he and the shrimp were besties already. That tiger shrimp is undoubtedly in some complex cave he has built under my rock. My wife think he’s gross but I think he’s funny the way he shoots in and out of the rock work with big piles of sand.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one today. He is doing same thing. He got sucked into my mp60 :( and then stuck to overflow. Dude has a death wish. Amazingly he is alive. But has a definite curve in his back.

Learned the hard way to cover my mp60 and 40s.
Yikes bro that’s crazy! How did he not get diced in the power head!? Mine is weird, now he’s just laying in the open. I wonder if the shrimp pinched his butt earlier and now they bickering lol

Aere

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yikes bro that’s crazy! How did he not get diced in the power head!? Mine is weird, now he’s just laying in the open. I wonder if the shrimp pinched his butt earlier and now they bickering lol

I happened to be right there. And detached the dry side to stop it. But he definitely went around a handful of times. And was stuck in the wet side. I had to fiddle with it to get him out. As of this morning he is alive still and swimming around like a madman again.

smm52487

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyone has you covered, but I’ll add my experience since I wasn’t able to find much online when mine was doing the same.

Mine behaved exactly like yours for like a week, then finally settled into a cave under one of my rocks. He even got himself suctioned to the overflow a few times...

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback, I was not super concerned but since this is my first tank I Figured I’d ask since everything I initially read made it seem like a bottom dweller. He had paired up with the pistol shrimp right off the bat but then around 9pm I walked past the tank and he was acting like a psycho. Luckily the tank wardens Puff and Nemo kept him away from their beloved power head

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back