Question about Aiptasia

gt4profession

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 18, 2021
Messages
55
Reaction score
35
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well and your reef is thriving. So my question is has anyone ever seen/noticed aiptasia move? Or when they are in the spot they are in that is where they will remain?
 
They can move - though its difficult to tell reproduction vs movement at times
interesting, so I had a huge one in a spot near my zoas and last night as i always do I checked my tank and noticed it "moved". Now the thing is when I placed Nudis in the tank they all seemed to migrate and settle under a the colony of zoas and are taking the sweetest of time eating the aiptasia I have. the one aiptasia that was pretty large "moved" to the center of the zoa colony. Really interesting, just wanted to share my experience.
 
Hey everyone,

I hope everyone is doing well and your reef is thriving. So my question is has anyone ever seen/noticed aiptasia move? Or when they are in the spot they are in that is where they will remain?
Generally if they are happy and getting what they need they stay put. I raise them and most of what I put in stay in the same spot. However they can move if conditions change or if they are young and looking for that "sweet spot". When I collect young in a petri dish to move to a new tank, in a few days they all have either left the dish or moved to a sidewall. They can slowly crawl, or puff themselves up, release, and "sail" to a new location.
 
Generally if they are happy and getting what they need they stay put. I raise them and most of what I put in stay in the same spot. However they can move if conditions change or if they are young and looking for that "sweet spot". When I collect young in a petri dish to move to a new tank, in a few days they all have either left the dish or moved to a sidewall. They can slowly crawl, or puff themselves up, release, and "sail" to a new location.
Thank you, very interesting to know. I would notice some pop up in my tank but always thought that they were large for just appearing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new