Question about Cyano

Simba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty sure I have Cyano in my tank. I was feeding a cube of frozen every day and have since reduced to every other day and I've been manually removing it when I do a water change but I don't think it's good to keep taking sand out. I did some research and found that a lot of people suggested to others to turn the lights out for 3 days straight. At this point I thought it was time to try it so today is the first day of the three and when I came home I noticed a couple of my rock flower anemones have started to move towards the front of the tank due to the room light. I have two green bubble anemones and I'm concerned that they will also start to move. Is there anything I should do to make sure everything is ok? I know when I turn the lights on they may move back but I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything wrong here. During the 3 days should I still feed and is it okay to do this for a reef tank or is it for fish only?

Thank-you

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine the corals can survive without light for 3 days. And yes you need to be careful about the amount of food given.
Excess food causes excess nutrients which fuels the algae. Try to increase your flow and test for nitrates and phosphates.

OP
OP
S

Simba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reassurance. One more day to go and I'm hoping it will be gone. Thanks again.

watdachuck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success in the past using PolyFilter. Those filter pads soak up a lot of the silicate and other garbage that Cyano loves. They are somewhat pricey, but used only when an issue comes up they are worth every penny.

noobofthereef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I think when reducing the amount of food you feed, if it is a small tank, feed just part of a cube rather than a whole cube so not as much will go to waste.

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it comes back after the 3 days of darkness, then you may want to consider some sort of nutrient export like adding chaeto and/or vinegar dosing. I wasn't able to get rid of it until I did both.

OP
OP
S

Simba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you...today was my first day after lights out. Im hoping it worked but I'll look into the filter. I also found some research that scarlet hermits would be good so I'll look into them. And I'll do some more reaead check about the vinegar. Thanks again...I appreciate the help.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back