Question about cycling with Dr. Tim's One and Only.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unlike many things in reefing where you have multiple ways to get good results, the chemistry never lies. Its a nice confirmation of the chloramine in your system. I only hope you got the Prime in soon enough to save the Biospira. If you did I would expect your ammonia to be at 1ppm or less this time tomorrow and nitrates pushing 15-20.

Sigh. Here's this morning's numbers:

Ammonia: 3ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 7-8ppm

Shouldn't I be seeing some nitrites? At least the ammonia went down a little.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh. Here's this morning's numbers:

Ammonia: 3ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 7-8ppm

Shouldn't I be seeing some nitrites? At least the ammonia went down a little.
Not seeing Nitrites isn't an issue. Both Biospira and Dr Tims contain Nitrospira bacteria which convert ammonia to nitrate without releasing the nitrite into the water.

Remember, almost all nitrifying bacteria reproduce slowly. It takes 12-24 hours for them to double their population. If ammonia has been going down the last 12 hours it should go down faster the next 12 hours so you should start seeing the impact on nitrates tonight.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6pm

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrates: 8-9ppm

These numbers make no sense except that I'm using API for ammonia. My nitrates are going up but the ammonia isn't going down yet.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6pm

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrates: 8-9ppm

These numbers make no sense except that I'm using API for ammonia. My nitrates are going up but the ammonia isn't going down yet.
Give it another 24 hours. I think the chloramine really messed up your system since ammonia is still climbing. I would add another dose of Prime if you have enough.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it another 24 hours. I think the chloramine really messed up your system since ammonia is still climbing. I would add another dose of Prime if you have enough.
I have plenty of Prime!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia this morning is 3-4ppm. I think the topoff water was the problem. I've treated it with Prime now. I have a new carbon cartridge on the way. The resin one looks like it still has a month or two. I know the ammonia is neutralized, but still there. I'm getting very frustrated.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia this morning is 3-4ppm. I think the topoff water was the problem. I've treated it with Prime now. I have a new carbon cartridge on the way. The resin one looks like it still has a month or two. I know the ammonia is neutralized, but still there. I'm getting very frustrated.
I'm really sorry you are going through this. I really think you have identified the cause of your cycling problems. Personally, I would continue to use Prime in any water you make until you replace the DI filter, also. Best to be on the safe side.
Unfortunately, you almost have to look at it as if yesterday is the first day of your cycle. The chloramine is a disinfectant that has killed all of the bacteria you have been trying to grow. You will get there.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to toss the RODI water I have once the new filters come in. I've learned a lot about how RODI works. TDS of 0 doesn't necessarily mean the water is safe. I'm assuming that the biofilter will take care of the neutralized (by Prime) ammonia left in the water. I did test the nano and there's no ammonia there. Today I turn on the skimmer again. Should I go ahead and get more Biospira?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to toss the RODI water I have once the new filters come in. I've learned a lot about how RODI works. TDS of 0 doesn't necessarily mean the water is safe. I'm assuming that the biofilter will take care of the neutralized (by Prime) ammonia left in the water. I did test the nano and there's no ammonia there. Today I turn on the skimmer again. Should I go ahead and get more Biospira?
I have done a ton of studying on nitrifying bacteria and cycling. What I don't know is if the chloramine would have wiped out the bacteria in the first bottle of Biospira in the short time between adding it and putting in the Prime. My thoughts are if you don't mind the time, effort, and cost of another bottle, it won't do any harm and may really jump start things. At this point I just don't have the confidence to make a recommendation toward adding it. Your situation is unlike anything I have read about. :confused: I would add another dose of Prime just to be on the safe side today and maybe make it twice the recommended dose if you do decide to add more Biospira.

Prime only neutralizes ammonia for 2 or 3 days. Bacteria can process it while it is neutralized which is a good thing. Unless your ammonia gets above 5ppm it won't do any harm to your cycle. Between 5ppm and 10ppm it can slow nitrifying bacteria growth. Above 10ppm can potentially start killing the bacteria.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done a ton of studying on nitrifying bacteria and cycling. What I don't know is if the chloramine would have wiped out the bacteria in the first bottle of Biospira in the short time between adding it and putting in the Prime. My thoughts are if you don't mind the time, effort, and cost of another bottle, it won't do any harm and may really jump start things. At this point I just don't have the confidence to make a recommendation toward adding it. Your situation is unlike anything I have read about. :confused: I would add another dose of Prime just to be on the safe side today and maybe make it twice the recommended dose if you do decide to add more Biospira.

Prime only neutralizes ammonia for 2 or 3 days. Bacteria can process it while it is neutralized which is a good thing. Unless your ammonia gets above 5ppm it won't do any harm to your cycle. Between 5ppm and 10ppm it can slow nitrifying bacteria growth. Above 10ppm can potentially start killing the bacteria.
So far the amm

So far the ammonia hasn't gotten above 4. Since ammonia was being added with Prime-treated topoff water, I tend to think the cycle is working because the nitrates are rising but the ammonia is basically staying the same. If the cycle had totally stalled, I don't think I'd be seeing those numbers. I'll test shortly and report back!!!

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 24

Ammonia 2-3ppm
Nitrates 8-9ppm

I'm cautiously optimistic that things are getting better.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI resin and carbon cartridge arriving today. Hopefully things will start to rock and roll now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI resin and carbon cartridge arriving today. Hopefully things will start to rock and roll now.
I sure hope so! No test results this morning? You didn't run out of testing fluid, did you? :p

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have the new cartridges in the RODI and I'm making some that I'll discard to get any residue from the cartridges. The water is coming out much faster!

Today's Numbers:

Ammonia: 2-3ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have the new cartridges in the RODI and I'm making some that I'll discard to get any residue from the cartridges. The water is coming out much faster!

Today's Numbers:

Ammonia: 2-3ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm
Looks like progress! Slow, but at least it is something!

I've done more reading and found some anecdotal evidence that Prime must be dosed at 4 times the recommended level to completely neutralize chloramine. The official line from Seachem is that "their lab is studying it" but that response was 3 years old with no follow up.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like progress! Slow, but at least it is something!

I've done more reading and found some anecdotal evidence that Prime must be dosed at 4 times the recommended level to completely neutralize chloramine. The official line from Seachem is that "their lab is studying it" but that response was 3 years old with no follow up.
Cool. I'll keep dosing. How many waste gallons do I need to run through the new RODI cartridges before I can use the water?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. I'll keep dosing. How many waste gallons do I need to run through the new RODI cartridges before I can use the water?
It is almost impossible to overdose Prime so if in doubt....

I believe BRS recommends a 5 gallon run through prior to using it but it may vary by manufacturer.

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is almost impossible to overdose Prime so if in doubt....

I believe BRS recommends a 5 gallon run through prior to using it but it may vary by manufacturer.
I quadruple dosed the Prime. I'll make up some new water tonight. This weekend I'm out of town so I may not report back until Monday!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 26.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back