Question about derasa attaching to bottom glass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BriDroid
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

BriDroid

I glue animals to rocks.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2024
Messages
1,710
Reaction score
2,314
Location
Prosper, TX
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new derasa is sitting on about a half inch of sand. Of course it has attached its byssal threads to the tank bottom under the sand. My understanding is that this is fine and once it gets more size will release and just sit there using up its mass to stay in place.

I posted a pic on Facebook (I know…) and someone posted a reply and said how bad it is for them to attach to the bottom glass???
 
My new derasa is sitting on about a half inch of sand. Of course it has attached its byssal threads to the tank bottom under the sand. My understanding is that this is fine and once it gets more size will release and just sit there using up its mass to stay in place.

I posted a pic on Facebook (I know…) and someone posted a reply and said how bad it is for them to attach to the bottom glass???
Sounds like you have the concept down perfectly. My Hippopus occasionally attaches to the bottom. Just as long as you don't inadvertently roughly tug on the clam while it's attached it's all good.
 
Last edited:
It's perfectly fine to attach to any solid surface. As it gets bigger, you may need more sand so it's not resting directly on the glass, which isn't good for long term hinge health.
Do you think not enough sand is a cause of or contributes to broken hinges on derasas? Asking because I lost my first derasa to a broken hinge and currently have two and would like to prevent it if possible. Mine are currently attached to frag plugs placed in the sand under the clams.
 
Do you think not enough sand is a cause of or contributes to broken hinges on derasas? Asking because I lost my first derasa to a broken hinge and currently have two and would like to prevent it if possible. Mine are currently attached to frag plugs placed in the sand under the clams.
If their shell is bouncing around on glass, then yes. The larger species are found on sandy bottoms mostly, so it’s better to keep them on a” cushion” of sand.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 1 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new