Question about dosing the RCP via Automated WC

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 330 liter display and the total net system volume is about 330 liter. I use all of your RCP line. I don't have that many coral and here is my foundation use:

Alkalinity: 9ml per day
Calcium: 3ml per day
Magnesium: 30ml per week
Colors: 2ml of each weekly.

Here is my question. I have a 120 liter drum of saltwater (red sea coral pro salt) which I use for automated water changes. Adding and removing 150ml 24 times a day. (3.5 liters per day or 1% per day)

It takes me exacltly 1 month to finish the entire 120 liter drum and so I make a new SW batch every month.

Can I dose the full monthly dose of each of the foundation and colors products into the saltwater drum monthly and just let it dose slowly to the tank?

Meaning I would make a batch of 120 liters of seawater with your salt... Then add the following:

270ml Alkalinity
90ml Calcium
120ml Magnesium
9ml of colora ABCD (each)

And that will slowly dose 24 times a day with the automated water change schedule...

Will that be ok?? Thanks a lot!

Another option would be to use the ABC+ powder... Will that work?

EDIT: also the 120 liter drum is constantly turned with a 6000 liter per hour circulation pump

Last edited:

emvanburen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the alk and cal together will cause precipitation and be bad. Mg might be an issue. Colors are probably fine to do that with but see if they discourage combining them. Do you have an ato also w freshwater? You could get one item into that as well.

OP
OP
roibenami

roibenami

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the alk and cal together will cause precipitation and be bad. Mg might be an issue. Colors are probably fine to do that with but see if they discourage combining them. Do you have an ato also w freshwater? You could get one item into that as well.

Yes I have a seperate barrel for freshwater... But that is topped up by a float valve and is not consistent (will add a different amount each day)

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there are two problems. 1) is the initial mix possible 2) how stable.

For 1: You adding all the supplements at once, for things like Ca/Alk is that possible? Once you add 1/4 of your total supplements, does the next 3/4 just percipitate away?

For 2: What percentage of amino acids 'go bad' in a week, a month. How much Ca/Alk breakdown.

It's similar to people that do Auto Water changes over a month, salts with organics are a no-no and elements break down over time. Sticking with simple boring salt in AWC and daily dosing seems to the path.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back