Question about feeding scedual

FiremanRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am chasing nitrates and phosphates in my 200g deep. A have an extra large sump, two refugiums and an ATS. Nearly 260g of water volume. I have already cut feeding by 50% (used to feed twice a day, now just once). Now I'm questioning how often I should feed. I have a large clown trigger, large Niger trigger, small Picasso trigger, large bird wrass, large squirrel fish, 2 marine cats and a clarki clown. Everyone is fat and happy. Every feeding is a frenzy, but most every one eats. I feed a home made cocktail that's mostly schrimp and silversides. Can slow feeding down additionlly?

Last edited:

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May consider a Skimmer and gfo. Messy eating fish you listed. That plus over feeding minus skimmer could be a combination to your problem.

OP
OP
FiremanRick

FiremanRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should have mentioned. I have a BRS dual reactor running carbon and GFO and a large skimmer. Also run filter floss in the sump to catch even more. They are very messy eaters. You would think I never feed them. Haha

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever try feeding smaller quantities a few times a day to make sure it is all getting devoured?

OP
OP
FiremanRick

FiremanRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive read online that I should feed them 3 times a day, 2 times, 1 large meal, and every other day. The Niger gets hangry and starts spitting at me if I haven't fed them till later in the day. But there's really no aggression in the tank. Everyone gets along well. That's part of the reason I'm worried about spacing out the feedings any further. Don't want to start fights.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back