Question about goniopora

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most pictures I see goniopora are round dome like skeletons or tiny frags. Why is this one triangular? Looks like a regular purple goni to me but maybe it encrusted over rock?
IMG_6636.jpg

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that's what I was kinda thinking too. Anyone with an ID or just a purple goni? Medium light medium flow hopefully somewhat hardy and not like the old green gonis.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that's what I was kinda thinking too. Anyone with an ID or just a purple goni? Medium light medium flow hopefully somewhat hardy and not like the old green gonis.
Don’t be mean to my Goni ;)
B8FDA113-03AF-4927-8F70-01914A32F960.jpeg

I would say on the low end of medium flow and medium light. Have you seen it extended yet?

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be mean to my Goni ;)
B8FDA113-03AF-4927-8F70-01914A32F960.jpeg

I would say on the low end of medium flow and medium light. Have you seen it extended yet?
I have not just the picture from online vendor. How long have you had your goni? Is that the goniopora stokesi that had the poor survival rate or a different green one? I've heard purples and pinks are much hardier

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not just the picture from online vendor. How long have you had your goni? Is that the goniopora stokesi that had the poor survival rate or a different green one? I've heard purples and pinks are much hardier
It is indeed a Stokesi. I’ve had it since March, it’s happy and growing. Needs to be fed a lot, but keeping it has made me a much better reefer. I had it much higher in the tank up until recently, but it seems to like it’s new spot pretty well even though it’s getting significantly less light.

OP
OP
P

PghReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed a Stokesi. I’ve had it since March, it’s happy and growing. Needs to be fed a lot, but keeping it has made me a much better reefer. I had it much higher in the tank up until recently, but it seems to like it’s new spot pretty well even though it’s getting significantly less light.
Best of luck with it they are beautiful. I've heard how finicky they can be son never attempted a stokesi

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck with it they are beautiful. I've heard how finicky they can be son never attempted a stokesi
Oh, it is! i had an accident with my ATO, forgot to unplug it before doing a water change. It started pumping water in, had a decent little salinity swing. Nothing else was mad for more than a couple days, but the Goni took a few weeks to fully recover! It’s kinda like an early warning system for my tank, it is so sensitive that all I need to do is look at it to see if everything is good.

and thank you! I have a pretty good system in place, I feed phyto feast and oyster feast every day, and reef roids a few times a week as well. Also I don’t run a skimmer, and dose Fuel as well as Reef Fusion 2 part. Try to keep my params as close to NSW as possible. So far it’s worked!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back