Question about growing zoas

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never grown zoas, but like them. I have seen a lot of pics where it looks like the zoas are right against the sps, will this kill the sps

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. In a lot of cases as branching corals grow the lower sections die due to lack of light so in some situations it may not be an issue and due to the same lack of light the zoas may not grow up dead sections and start killing live tissue but you should expect to have to remove zoas to keep them from killing other corals.

OP
OP
Reefen

Reefen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. In a lot of cases as branching corals grow the lower sections die due to lack of light so in some situations it may not be an issue and due to the same lack of light the zoas may not grow up dead sections and start killing live tissue but you should expect to have to remove zoas to keep them from killing other corals.
can you just pick them off?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you just pick them off?
Maybe in some instances but more likely you'll need to scrap them off. It's impossible to say which palies/zoas might have palytoxin so use appropriate safety precautions. You can use steel straws to scrap and remove them without aerisolizing the toxin.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a small 10 gallon tank for a zoa garden, but I’ve noticed one of my frags isn’t opening and the polyps are developing something that looks like canker sores.
I’ve dipped the frag multiple times. First with seachem reef dip (30 minutes). A few days later, with a 50/50 hydrogen peroxide (5 minutes). Then, a few days later, seachem again(30 minutes).
Can anyone suggest what it might be, or another treatment?

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like it could be Zoa Pox- would need a pic to be certain though. I’ve successfully cleared this in the past using Coral RX dip and pristine water conditions.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably won’t have any issue with palytoxin from basically any of the brightly colored “designer” zoa we see in the trade. The high paly toxic polyps are usually palythoa (the big brown ugly wild ones). I did get horrendously sick one time messing with the brown kind I mention above but I barehand frag zoa all the time and I’m covered in cuts with no issues. Zoa can grow just about anywhere so if you have room just put them away from your sps. Mine grow is shade or bright light, high or low flow, some of them even break loose on occasion and grown on the sand bed and I just find a small colony all of a sudden.

Back