Question about H2O

Snow Capped Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use water from an already established tank should I worry about doing a routine water change or should I allow it to cycle like I normally would when starting a new tank?

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use water from an already established tank should I worry about doing a routine water change or should I allow it to cycle like I normally would when starting a new tank?
Very low percentage of the beneficial bacteria are in the water itself , the bacteria are on surfaces such as rock, sand, and glass. You will still need to cycle the aquarium to establish these bacteria colonies.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but do I need to do a water change since it’s used water?
Used water out of an existing system has absolutely no benefit whatsoever to a new tank! The only thing you find in used Water is Elevated Levels of nutrients depending on how good the filtration system is on the tank you take water out of. Personally, I use nothing but fresh made, 0 total dissolved solid, reverse osmosis, dionysed water.
Fresh out of my RODI system. And even then I periodically test for elevated levels of phosphates.

OP
OP
S

Snow Capped Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the rocks and sand from an existing tank?
No I used some liferock that I had. Reason I was asking is because my nitrates are at 5ppm so I was wondering if I would need to worry about doing a water change before the tank finished cycling. My ammonia is at 2ppm already so hopefully the cycle doesn’t take too long. I’m dosing some mircobacter 7 and stability for beneficial bacteria.

Jimbobalou622

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
No I used some liferock that I had. Reason I was asking is because my nitrates are at 5ppm so I was wondering if I would need to worry about doing a water change before the tank finished cycling. My ammonia is at 2ppm already so hopefully the cycle doesn’t take too long. I’m dosing some mircobacter 7 and stability for beneficial bacteria.
I would let it cycle before any water changes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back