Question about hawkfish for reef tank

DEE’S reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2026
Messages
611
Reaction score
230
Location
warren, mi
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have a 80 gallon reef tank and I want a hawkfish the owner of my lfs said that pixie/ coral hawkfish don’t really get big or bother the clean up crew that much but I was also told to look at needle nose hawkfish what are pros and cons of them I like the long nose hawkfish but will it kill a lot of my CUC.
 
I had a falco hawkfish for years that did very well. I didn't bother either CUC or the corals. I avoided the longnose fearing it might be aggressive with the corals. If you go with the longnose, let us know if it is reef safe or not.
 
I have had a longnose hawk in mixed reef for over a year. It has not bothered any fish, inverts, or corals. It’s getting big. I’d say it’s about 4” and thick.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 29 29.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 9.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 12 12.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new