What is a good hawkfish for a reef tank

DEE’S reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2026
Messages
611
Reaction score
230
Location
warren, mi
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is a good hawkish for a reef tank I was thinking a long nose hawkfish. But I was thinking maybe a flame hawkfish but would that be fine or would it be a no.
 
I have a falco hawk in mine and I don't have any complaints but I don't have shrimp either
 
What is a good hawkish for a reef tank I was thinking a long nose hawkfish. But I was thinking maybe a flame hawkfish but would that be fine or would it be a no.
What size tank are you planning for? I have a Longnose Hawkfish in my 5 ft tank. Very chill and friendly fish. The only drawback is I can’t keep peppermint shrimp which limits the options for aptasia control. He might also be the fish which ate Berghia Nudibranch. The long nose got along fine with my skunk cleaner shrimp and red cleaner shrimp.
 
20260221_190612_62FFAB5F-7A17-486E-BBCB-433331BEC8F9.png
My long nose is a character and leaves the peppermint shrimp alone (could be on borrowed time)
 
I have a flame in my 100 gallon. he's with a blood shrimp and 4 peppermint shrimp, smaller fish too. he's never shown any aggression and has never touched inverts
 
What is a good hawkish for a reef tank I was thinking a long nose hawkfish. But I was thinking maybe a flame hawkfish but would that be fine or would it be a no.
What else were you planning for your stock list? Longnose are my personal favorite, but it can be risky adding small fish and inverts with hawkfish. Flames pose less of a risk towards small fish than longnose hawks, but they are more likely to eat your hermits and snails. I’ve never had a hawkfish attack cleaner shrimp, blood shrimp, or coral banded shrimp. I would add the shrimp first, but there is still a risk the hawk will go after them since every fish is different. The safest true hawkfish is probably a pixie hawk or a falco. The safest ”hawkfish” is the geometric hawkfish which isn’t really a hawkfish. It’s actually a perchlet. Their behavior is similar to a hawkfish, but they’re not as aggressive. They stay small, so they pose less risk towards inverts and fish.
 
So I have a tang and pair of clownfish ones half the size of the other and a small yellow watchman gobie.
What I want to get
Hawkfish
6 line wrasse
Lawnmower blennie
That’s probably it
Maybe some shrimp.
 
So I have a tang and pair of clownfish ones half the size of the other and a small yellow watchman gobie.
What I want to get
Hawkfish
6 line wrasse
Lawnmower blennie
That’s probably it
Maybe some shrimp.
The only fish I would be worried about is the watchman goby. The others should be fine.
 
I would avoid the 6 line. They can become nasty to other fish. The yellow wrasse (H chrysus) or the pintail (C isosceles) are great mild mannered wrasses.
 
Longnose hawkfish are usually the safer bet for reefs, they tend to be a bit less aggressive.

Flame hawkfish can work, but they’re more likely to pick off small shrimp. If you keep ornamental shrimp, I’d go longnose.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new