Question about hawkfish for my reef tank

DEE’S reef

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 17, 2026
Messages
611
Reaction score
230
Location
warren, mi
What state or country do you live in
Michigan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So have a 80 gallon reef tank and I want a hawkfish the owner of my lfs said that pixie/ coral hawkfish don’t really get big or bother the clean up crew that much but I was also told to look at needle nose hawkfish what are pros and cons of them I like the long nose hawkfish but will it kill a lot of my CUC.
 
Hopefully people who have actually tried them in tanks with a varied cleanup crew can give you their experiences. I have only had Hawks in FOWLRs-- but if I recall what others have said in the past, it is mostly 'small ornamental' shrimp' that are in the greatest danger.
 
So have a 80 gallon reef tank and I want a hawkfish the owner of my lfs said that pixie/ coral hawkfish don’t really get big or bother the clean up crew that much but I was also told to look at needle nose hawkfish what are pros and cons of them I like the long nose hawkfish but will it kill a lot of my CUC.
I have a longnose hawk for about a month. So far he has been a good citizen. I have lots of snails, crabs and shrimp.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new