Question about IM 20 evap.

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a Nuvo 20 and Im wondering what the evap is like? I only ask because int he morning I filled it up so the return was about an inch from the next chamber and by around dinner time it's down 2-3 inches. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong and that that's just normal evap for the tank or I didn't fill it up intially to the correct level etc. Thanks in Advance.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up a Nuvo 20 and Im wondering what the evap is like? I only ask because int he morning I filled it up so the return was about an inch from the next chamber and by around dinner time it's down 2-3 inches. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong and that that's just normal evap for the tank or I didn't fill it up intially to the correct level etc. Thanks in Advance.
Evaporation will vary a lot based on many factors like humidity and surface agitation. But I would expect about 1% per day.

OP
OP
sas226

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"ve had to add I wanna say maybe a cup of water after a day each day, does that seem like reasonable evap for the tank? Humidity probably 60%, temp around 70, sruface agitation I'd say is.. ~moderate

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a huge favor and get an ATO. Look at Smart or Duetto. Evaporation rate has so many variables. During the summer I lost a 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in 24 hrs. I had the same tank.
Corals do so much better at a constant SG.

OP
OP
sas226

sas226

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a huge favor and get an ATO. Look at Smart or Duetto. Evaporation rate has so many variables. During the summer I lost a 1/4 to 1/2 gallon in 24 hrs. I had the same tank.
Corals do so much better at a constant SG.

Already looking into it, heh. I had a larger tank and didn't experience such a significant change in the sump water level thats why I was a bit surprised. It's not a big deal but definitely going to get an ATO, thanks for the help folks.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured that water capacity of that return chamber is about 1.6G or so, so that 2-3” isn’t a lot of water tbh. A 5 gallon bucket on my IM 20 past me 2 weeks it’s filled to about 4 gallons and there’s usually a gallon or so left when I go get water again.

The first whole back compartment holds about 3 gallons I believe if my math was correct.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back