Question about Kalk reactor

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi I recently started using a kalkwasser reactor on my 90 gallon. I also dose brightwell alkalinity and calcium. My problem is I'm not sure the right way to use the reactor. Should I be adding kalkwasser in to the reactor ever day or should I be adding ever week, month . Also won't kalk build up on the bottom? And if I were to clean the reactor how would I know how much kalk to add right away. I use a stand alone doesing pump to add water into the reactor 12 times a day the water just gravity feeds into sump. Any advice would be great. Thanks

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I add half a cup about every 2 weeks. After two adds I generally empty it and clean the old Calk out and refill it. Once it hits 12.8 (I believe 12.8 is max saturation) @Randy Holmes-Farley. it will not go any higher. So technically you "Cant add too much." BUT most reactors with stirrers cant push that much, you could burn the motor out. I personally have an Avast Marine K1, which I use to supplement mainly my PH. I also dose Alk and Calcium to keep those up.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I recently started using a kalkwasser reactor on my 90 gallon. I also dose brightwell alkalinity and calcium. My problem is I'm not sure the right way to use the reactor. Should I be adding kalkwasser in to the reactor ever day or should I be adding ever week, month . Also won't kalk build up on the bottom? And if I were to clean the reactor how would I know how much kalk to add right away. I use a stand alone doesing pump to add water into the reactor 12 times a day the water just gravity feeds into sump. Any advice would be great. Thanks
That sounds similar to my avast kalk stirrer. I put a cup or so in about once a month or when the level of solids gets low. I dump the solids out about once a year.

OP
OP
Robert Ranciato

Robert Ranciato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When you say 12.8 I think you mean your ph probe right? I don't have one. Is it better not to use the reactor until I get one?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will your Alk jump up and down? I would assume the Alk would be higher when you add it and lower towards the end of the 2 weeks

No, because it stays saturated. Thats why you add more after 2 weeks. It will stay steady until all of the alk is consumed from the Kalkwaser.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there is some solid kalk on the bottom of the reactor, the solution above the solid should be at or near saturation.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back