Question about osmotic shock...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am shopping for a cleanup crew on reefcleaners. And I noticed that their acclimation instructions are to float the bag for temperature balance and then remove from the bag and release into the display. They also say not to "drip acclimate".

But without drip acclimation, I'm worried about osmotic shock from the difference in the bag salinity (?) and my tanks salinity (35ppt).

Should I be concerned?

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most inverts also need to be kept at that salinity. They ship many of the animals without water, so it is not usually an issue. Snails can take a day or two to come out. Just make sure that the animals are alive. If they smell putrid, maybe not add them to the system. :)

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. They can handle the salinity better than the potential ammonia toxicity from the pH increase.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the ways I dealt with these issues both for fish and inverts is to set up a QT tank that could rapidly be adjusted to the salinity measured in the bag (by adding however much freshwater is needed to match). That gets them out of the ammonia water (from overnight shipping) and into clean water of the same salinity. Then you can raise the salinity of that QT tank as you see fit.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way I drip acclimate to avoid ammonia concerns from rising PH is by adding Seachem Prime/Safe to shipping water. As for snails. I've always just temp acclimate then drop.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a reply. They inform me that bag salinity is between 33-35ppt. So this would be consistent with @nereefpat point.

To @Randy Holmes-Farley 's point, I have a QT set up at all times and thought about adjusting the salinity in the QT to the bag.

But to do this, I'd have to open the bag which will add O2 and cause the ammonia to rise... won't it? Now I have the inhabitants in an elevated ammonia environment while adjusting the salinity in the QT. They could perish during that time.

Am I over-thinking?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received a reply. They inform me that bag salinity is between 33-35ppt. So this would be consistent with @nereefpat point.

To @Randy Holmes-Farley 's point, I have a QT set up at all times and thought about adjusting the salinity in the QT to the bag.

But to do this, I'd have to open the bag which will add O2 and cause the ammonia to rise... won't it? Now I have the inhabitants in an elevated ammonia environment while adjusting the salinity in the QT. They could perish during that time.

Am I over-thinking?

Opening it to take a measurement and reclosing it won't cause a problematic pH jump.

FWIW, its not O2 that's impacting ammonia, but CO2. :)

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks use a syringe with a needle to poke a tiny hole in the bag, then squirt it right on the refractometer.

takitaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefcleaners doesn't ship snails in "water". They ship with a wet paper towel. I've gotten several orders from them and followed their method without any issues. (I run 35ppt also) Definitely give the bag a sniff test. You don't want to add anything that didn't make the trip. If it smells nasty then find the dead one(s) before adding. (re-run the sniff test individually) After temp acclimation just pull them off the towel and drop 'em in. Inverts and urchins might have a different method, just follow what they say. Better for any claims if something doesn't make it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back