Question about overflow in 90 gal build

  • Thread starter Thread starter recess62
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

recess62

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 24, 2015
Messages
919
Reaction score
689
Location
Pound Ridge, NY
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of a 90 gal build. The tank has 2 drilled corner bulkheads in the bottom. One bulk head is 1 inch. The other is 1.5 inches. Which one should I use as the main and which one should be the emergency overflow? I was going to use the larger as the emergency. Is this correct? If not then why

Thanks
 
In the process of a 90 gal build. The tank has 2 drilled corner bulkheads in the bottom. One bulk head is 1 inch. The other is 1.5 inches. Which one should I use as the main and which one should be the emergency overflow? I was going to use the larger as the emergency. Is this correct? If not then why

Thanks
I think it depends on how much flow youll be putting through the tank. I think the bigger drain is for emergency.
 
The official answer is that your emergency drain in a Herbie setup should always be equal or larger size than your siphon drain - so if the siphon drain fails completely, your emergency drain can take it's capacity.

So officially, you should use the 1" as main/siphon drain and 1.5" as an emergency standpipe 6" above the level of the siphon inlet.

Realistically, however - you will likely be running the 1.5" drain restricted enough that a 1" drain fully open may work as well. I had a 1" and 3/4" drains in my 90 and ran the 1" as the siphon drain. It's your decision, but following the official route is always safest.
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new