Question about plastics made from polyproxylene.

rchraska

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,

I was in Home Depot the other day picking up some storage containers for some of xmas decorations, and I noticed that the HDX containers they carry state they are made from Polyproxylene. At first I though it was a typo for polypropylene, but I was told it was not. I have not heard of this material and was curious as to its applicability or safe use in our hobby. I work for a adhesive and sealant chemical company, and am familiar with a lot of materials, but this one is new to me. Furthermore, some quick research did not turn up any helpful information other than it is a material that is used on high-end grouting trowels.

I was wondering if you or anyone else on the board could shed some light on if this material, and if it would be acceptable for storing RODI water or as holding tank for rock.

Thanks

Rob

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such material that I can find. If it is anything, it is a made up name, but most references I found online appeared to be typos of polypropylene.

If it is polypropylene (either by typo or intention as a trade-marked type of polypropylene), it is likely OK assuming it doesn't have other things in it that are undesirable.

barry chen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Randy,

I was in Home Depot the other day picking up some storage containers for some of xmas decorations, and I noticed that the HDX containers they carry state they are made from Polyproxylene. At first I though it was a typo for polypropylene, but I was told it was not. I have not heard of this material and was curious as to its applicability or safe use in our hobby. I work for a adhesive and sealant chemical company, and am familiar with a lot of materials, but this one is new to me. Furthermore, some quick research did not turn up any helpful information other than it is a material that is used on high-end grouting trowels.

I was wondering if you or anyone else on the board could shed some light on if this material, and if it would be acceptable for storing RODI water or as holding tank for rock.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,
I am also looking for the same thing. It's actually polyproxylene and it's a real material. Did you get a chance to find more info on this?
thanks!
Barry

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob,
I am also looking for the same thing. It's actually polyproxylene and it's a real material. Did you get a chance to find more info on this?
thanks!
Barry

There is no polymer that is chemically called polyproxylene. Proxylene is not a real name. It is a trade name (meaning a made up name for sales purposes) for polypropylene with other stuff in it. Orion has the trade name:

http://www.orionfittings.com/aw_materials.asp

from it:

All Orion pipe systems are available molded from proxylene blueline resin. Proxylene (an Orion trade name) is a fire retardant, thermoplastic material with excellent resistance to most common organic and mineral acids, their salts, strong and weak alkalis and most organic chemicals.

Proxylene is compounded of polypropylene Type II copolymer with fire retardant additives. Polypropylene is a thermoplastic material characterized by a stable and highly ordered stereoregular molecular chain. This structure produces a rigid material with good strength and aging properties.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 59 40.7%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 34 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 4.8%
Back