Question about PraziPro

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question about prazi, can I already have it dosed in the tank before the fish goes in?

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a question about prazi, can I already have it dosed in the tank before the fish goes in?
You can, yes, but don't wait too long. It's gone in a matter of a couple of days. I would treat with the fish in there already. Is there a reason you want to pre-dose?

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to just wait until the gem settled for the night and he ate nori today. so I dosed the prazi this afternoon.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose to just wait until the gem settled for the night and he ate nori today. so I dosed the prazi this afternoon.

Prazi loses it effectiveness within 24 hours

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just going to go by what the bottle said. Dumped it in yesterday and was going to put more in after 3 days.

If your treating for flukes dose it 5-7 days apart to cover the lifecycle if the flukes

joe0813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to put another dose of prazi at day 5. But can i put copper power in with it?

Twodogsnnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use one cube of frozen and that it out and flatten it. Add 1 scoop of Focus let it sit 15 min and stir it up. Then flatten out again add 1 scoop of metro or GC let it sit 15 min and stir it up. Add a drop of Garlic guard to mask the taste of meds. Wait 15 min and feed. Put the leftovers in the freezer should hold for 4-5 days before you need to make more. Feed for 14 days.

What type of frozen food are you using?

Thanks.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When would be a good time to resume uv after dosing prazi?
Prazi does most of its work during the first 24 hours and then tapers off rather quickly after that. By 48 hours it has degraded significantly. Usually recommend observing for 5-7 days after the dosing of prazi and then doing a 25% water change to remove any fluke debris and to improve the water quality. Then would be a good time to start back up the UV filter.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwwataz Chloroquine reduces the bioavailability of praziquantel (in rats and humans), but I don’t believe any such test has been done with copper. The main problem with mixing copper + Prazipro is the potential for a bacterial bloom to occur in the water, which reduces available O2. This threat is somewhat mitigated by using powder praziquantel, such as is found in API General Cure.

While dosing prazi in the water usually takes care of flukes (unless you encounter a prazi resistant strain); it is a good idea to also food soak prazi and/or metro in order to fully eliminate intestinal worms: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

Again, API General Cure is an excellent choice for food soaking because it contains both prazi & metro in one medication.
Sorry humblefish I noticed my multicolor angel and flameback angel both have long poop but I don’t think it’s white. It’s always really long though, do you think I should treat them with prazipro? Also my multicolor is in my reef tank and they both eat a lot and are very active. They have both been through copper treatments, but I’m just worried about their long (don’t know if it’s stringy) poop. It is light brown

diezel24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 The more sterile the QT (i.e. the less bacteria present to break prazi down), the longer it remains active in the water. So, only doing a 25% WC may not be enough before redosing in 5-7 days to prevent overdosing. :confused: Might be a good idea to also run carbon for 24 hrs before the second dose.
Just curious if prazi pro will completely drop your nitrates to zero? Before prazi I was running 15-20ppm, after third dose in three weeks I have zero nitrates. I am feeding heavy and tested with two different tests kits (salifert, and API) . Just curious if you or anyone you know experienced that. Will running carbon a few days and feeding heavy bring it back up?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if prazi pro will completely drop your nitrates to zero? Before prazi I was running 15-20ppm, after third dose in three weeks I have zero nitrates. I am feeding heavy and tested with two different tests kits (salifert, and API) . Just curious if you or anyone you know experienced that. Will running carbon a few days and feeding heavy bring it back up?
The solvent in prazipro is a glycol. It works as a carbon source, so it is just like carbon dosing, so in theory, it will drop nitrates when used in a reef tank. Most folks dose it in a QT, so never see this happen. You can manage it like you said, but no need to run the carbon. Also, you *may* see that after the bacteria bloom, they will release some of the nitrogen back into the tank.

Jay

diezel24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solvent in prazipro is a glycol. It works as a carbon source, so it is just like carbon dosing, so in theory, it will drop nitrates when used in a reef tank. Most folks dose it in a QT, so never see this happen. You can manage it like you said, but no need to run the carbon. Also, you *may* see that after the bacteria bloom, they will release some of the nitrogen back into the tank.

Jay
Thank you! Don’t you want to run carbon after prazi to remove it from the system though I thought i read? I have a couple media bags of it in a good flow area in the sump to remove it. Am I to expect a bacteria bloom? I guess i don’t understand the last part of what you said.

I also believe i was fighting two different things with flukes and ich. I have several fish still flashing after three doses of prazi, no signs of white spots that you can see though. They are still eating like normal and other then flashing seem fine. I see my royal gramma, starki damsel is missing scales, blenny, and blue hippo tang all seem to flash still. I dosed prazi three times at the recommended amount. The reason I dosed is my blue hippo tang was one night showing some white spots on it but seemed too small to be ich, then started developing black spots on her body(like black ich) from pics i had seen. Then eyes got some larger white spots and cloudy. Now she is all healed up and all spots gone and eyes don’t have spots, but all seem to be flashing still. I did notice a few small white spots on the starki and one day on the royal gramma, and a few on blue tang fins so i feel like there is ich in the tank still. I don’t want to QT as it’s a 180G tank and i have a ton of rock and corals and to get them out would be a nightmare and I have no QT. My LFS said yesterday to use Polyp Lab Medic now to see if it helps with the ich as they use it and it helps. I was going to start the polyp lab medic last night, but then i tested the nitrates and several other parameters and that was the one that shocked me seeing it at zero. I guess my question is and my thought process was to use the carbon to remove the prazi for a couple days, but is that impeding bringing nitrates back up, and i didn’t want to start the polyp medic with the nitrates at zero, not sure if it makes a diff or not. Thanks for any advice. Sorry for the novel. All other parameters are perfect and corals are happy. No bad effects from prazi with three doses. Last dose of Prazi was this past Friday. I added carbon back in the sump sunday night. Thx

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 124 66.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.2%
Back