Question about PraziPro

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If prazi only stays active for 24-48hrs then why do the directions on PraziPro state "a treatment lasting 5-7 days..."? I feed heavy with new fish in QT and worry about controlling nutrients. I also seem to get a bacterial bloom even though the QT has been running for 6 months. I typically do a 50% WC EOD...

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4824874/

According to that study depending on a few factors it can break down in 2 day, 8 days, or other time frames.

+1 The more sterile the QT (i.e. the less bacteria present to break prazi down), the longer it remains active in the water. So, only doing a 25% WC may not be enough before redosing in 5-7 days to prevent overdosing. :confused: Might be a good idea to also run carbon for 24 hrs before the second dose.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think many people say 24-48 hours because thats how much time is needed to kill flukes, and then they redose after 5-7 to kill any newly hatched worms. ^^Agree with the above, probably if you want to treat prazipro in the same tank its safer to remove the meds from previous dose and start with a fresh one.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Prazi if one is targeting intestinal parasite/worms rather than fluke is the 2nd dose 7 days later still recommended re eggs?
I'm dosing for a wrasse that has stayed slender & have already done 2 focus/metro rounds, 1x10 day treatment then no sign of improvement with a 2 week break so then i did 1 x 3 week treatment & now i'm 28 hours into a prazi treatment.
Just wondering if i need to do the 2nd dose or if it's not necessary if not targeting fluke?
I may be fighting something that is not even present but this fish (Femininus) has me bordering on concerned with its slenderness, i have other tamarin as well.This one eats like a pig but doesn't seem to put on any weight for the 5 month's i've had her.

For anyone researching thru,wrasse heavy tank(9), full dose prazi, 0 issues

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Prazi if one is targeting intestinal parasite/worms rather than fluke is the 2nd dose 7 days later still recommended re eggs?
I'm dosing for a wrasse that has stayed slender & have already done 2 focus/metro rounds, 1x10 day treatment then no sign of improvement with a 2 week break so then i did 1 x 3 week treatment & now i'm 28 hours into a prazi treatment.
Just wondering if i need to do the 2nd dose or if it's not necessary if not targeting fluke?
I may be fighting something that is not even present but this fish (Femininus) has me bordering on concerned with its slenderness, i have other tamarin as well.This one eats like a pig but doesn't seem to put on any weight for the 5 month's i've had her.

For anyone researching thru,wrasse heavy tank(9), full dose prazi, 0 issues
Prazi isn't very effective at internal parasites, feeding metroplex soaked foods and focus will address that issue.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yes i've done 1x 10 day & 1 x 3 weeks focus & metro dosing with food soaking with no noticable change, that was why i was giving the prazi a shot also

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yes i've done 1x 10 day & 1 x 3 weeks focus & metro dosing with food soaking with no noticable change, that was why i was giving the prazi a shot also

I had a stubborn case with my regal angel, what ended up taking care of it was 10 days of food soaking general cure + focus. 2 scoops GC to one scoop focus to a tablespoon of food. Mine was a bit less than a tablespoon of food since I was medicating live clams (that's all he eats).

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a stubborn case with my regal angel, what ended up taking care of it was 10 days of food soaking general cure + focus. 2 scoops GC to one scoop focus to a tablespoon of food. Mine was a bit less than a tablespoon of food since I was medicating live clams (that's all he eats).

Ok cool thanks, will keep that one in mind if i need to go further.I'm not sure that it isn't just her build but i thought better safe than sorry...will give her some time after now & see what progresses.

For non fluke treatment can anyone tell me if i need to do the normal 1 2 hit with Prazi or does 1 suffice?

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 The more sterile the QT (i.e. the less bacteria present to break prazi down), the longer it remains active in the water. So, only doing a 25% WC may not be enough before redosing in 5-7 days to prevent overdosing. :confused: Might be a good idea to also run carbon for 24 hrs before the second dose.

I realize this is an old thread but I have a question about that statement...

As you may remember, I'm currently treating two qts for a velvet outbreak with coppersafe. I noticed my 2 "pre quarantined" wrasses were yawning and twitching their heads a fair bit. They also had white stringy poo. Naturally I suspected flukes and intestinal parasites. I realize doing copper/prazi simultaneously isn't recommended but, given everything going on in my qts right now, I decided I needed to do it. The tank has 2 hob filters with sponge/biomax, a powerhead, two airstones, and I can always do water changes if I were to have a bacterial bloom. Prazi was dosed Saturday 3/31(4 days ago). I did a ~32% waterchange after 48 hours and planned on redosing at days 5 and 10 for a total of 3 treatments. Obviously I can't run carbon or I'll also remove copper. I'm now concerned because these aren't established tanks. Should I abort further prazi doses until I'm finished with copper? Today is only day 8 of therapeutic copper for this qt. This qt is getting copper because of the likelihood of cross contamination. I've also read other posts stating copper reduces either the potency or contact time of prazi anyway?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwwataz Chloroquine reduces the bioavailability of praziquantel (in rats and humans), but I don’t believe any such test has been done with copper. The main problem with mixing copper + Prazipro is the potential for a bacterial bloom to occur in the water, which reduces available O2. This threat is somewhat mitigated by using powder praziquantel, such as is found in API General Cure.

While dosing prazi in the water usually takes care of flukes (unless you encounter a prazi resistant strain); it is a good idea to also food soak prazi and/or metro in order to fully eliminate intestinal worms: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

Again, API General Cure is an excellent choice for food soaking because it contains both prazi & metro in one medication.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dwwataz Chloroquine reduces the bioavailability of praziquantel (in rats and humans), but I don’t believe any such test has been done with copper. The main problem with mixing copper + Prazipro is the potential for a bacterial bloom to occur in the water, which reduces available O2. This threat is somewhat mitigated by using powder praziquantel, such as is found in API General Cure.

While dosing prazi in the water usually takes care of flukes (unless you encounter a prazi resistant strain); it is a good idea to also food soak prazi and/or metro in order to fully eliminate intestinal worms: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/internal-parasites-intestinal-worms.267419/

Again, API General Cure is an excellent choice for food soaking because it contains both prazi & metro in one medication.

So far so good on the bloom front. I waited 48 hours to do waterchanges and had no problems. I'll probably just do 24 hour contact with the last two rounds. I was more concerned about potentially overdosing prazi if it could take longer to dissipate in newly established aquariums, such as qts. I do have plenty of metro/focus and planned on food soaking once I finished prazi. I've never actually had prazi clear internal parasites anyway.

I certainly hope this isn't another batch of prazi resistant flukes. I wasn't 100% when they all got dips at the beginning of qt, but given the yawning and twitching, I am now 99%. There's no other symptoms and it's just this qt. I'm about to pull my hair out :mad:
"Pre quarantined" fish alright..

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was more concerned about potentially overdosing prazi if it could take longer to dissipate in newly established aquariums, such as qts.

Praziquantel dissipates after about 72 hrs, but if you are using Prazipro then the Oxybispropanol it contains will remain active for quite a bit longer. It's usually gone in 5-7 days (when it's time to redose), but running carbon for 24 hrs before dosing the next round would be a good insurance policy.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel dissipates after about 72 hrs, but if you are using Prazipro then the Oxybispropanol it contains will remain active for quite a bit longer. It's usually gone in 5-7 days (when it's time to redose), but running carbon for 24 hrs before dosing the next round would be a good insurance policy.

If I ran carbon, wouldn't I also pull out the copper though?

How about this..
Tomorrow would be day 5 since prazi and day 9 of therapeutic copper. I know the 10 days of copper then transferring is more for an emergency situation, but I really don't want to have 25 different meds in the tank... particularly with wrasses. I'm thinking-
-Setup my other 29g in another room tonight... Everything has been air drying for 4-5 days at this point(after being sprayed and soaked with 10% bleach solution)
-dose second round of prazi tomorrow a.m.
-en route to new qt Friday morning (day 10) I'll give each fish a quick dunk in new tank water to wash off qt water
-start food soaking metro and simultaneously dose qt with metro for 10 days to also rule out brook. Fact is I'll have already treated for every other parasite, with every available method aside from cp, might as well rule it out too
-5 days later do 3rd and, hopefully, final dose of prazi
-finish metro
-either be parasite free or I'm jumping off a bridge

Mmun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a internal parasite issue with a coral beauty and possible trigger. can you soak the food in prazipro, or dose the water? I have that and API General Cure.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a internal parasite issue with a coral beauty and possible trigger. can you soak the food in prazipro, or dose the water? I have that and API General Cure.

Use one cube of frozen and that it out and flatten it. Add 1 scoop of Focus let it sit 15 min and stir it up. Then flatten out again add 1 scoop of metro or GC let it sit 15 min and stir it up. Add a drop of Garlic guard to mask the taste of meds. Wait 15 min and feed. Put the leftovers in the freezer should hold for 4-5 days before you need to make more. Feed for 14 days.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use one cube of frozen and that it out and flatten it. Add 1 scoop of Focus let it sit 15 min and stir it up. Then flatten out again add 1 scoop of metro or GC let it sit 15 min and stir it up. Add a drop of Garlic guard to mask the taste of meds. Wait 15 min and feed. Put the leftovers in the freezer should hold for 4-5 days before you need to make more. Feed for 14 days.

This. I've done pellets and frozen with metro/focus. Mask the meds with some garlic and/or vitamins and the fish should still be interested. I've had a couple fish with stubborn parasites that took 3-4 weeks of daily feeding to be completely rid of them. Keep feeding it until you've gone ~5 days without seeing stringy poo :)

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This. I've done pellets and frozen with prazi. Mask the meds with some garlic and/or vitamins and the fish should still be interested. I've had a couple fish with stubborn parasites that took 3-4 weeks of daily feeding to be completely rid of them. Keep feeding it until you've gone ~5 days without seeing stringy poo :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back